Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6a 5th yr 9 colonies inc. 2 resource hives
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3800 elevation 6a too cold for SHB. About an inch across. Clearly tries to get in but stopped by my BeeSmart robbing screen. What is this?
Insect Terrestrial animal Pest Parasite Invertebrate
Insect Wood Snout Pest Arthropod

·
Registered
473 Posts
I just scrolled through the 601 insects of oregon...my best guess though hard to tell from the pic is either a tick of sorts (depending on size) or a sap beetle!

Ps yall have some nasty bugs out there....

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for looking. Bugs are cool as long as they stay in their lane. So we don’t get a lot of flying nuisance bugs like they do in Florida. I also see very little wasp pressure because of my robbing screens, large colonies and spacing. Looking at sap beetle. Don’t think so. Body not smooth.

·
Registered
Survivor stock & Buckfast in Langstroth 8F’s
556 Posts
Roll it over, I think you could have One of the many pine weevils, but can’t tell with out a pic from the under side. Really a funny insect as they will play dead.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roll it over, I think you could have One of the many pine weevils, but can’t tell with out a pic from the under side. Really a funny insect as they will play dead.
It flew away before I could snap a pic. However I flipped it over (no pic) and saw it had a dot on its lower abdomen. Pine weevil very possible. Looking at pictures of white pine weevil. Very close.

·
Registered
161 Posts
At “an inch across” it is far too big to be any kind of bark beetle (or weevil) which are more the size of a grain of rice.

I’m curious what it is so will be researching.

·
Registered
Survivor stock & Buckfast in Langstroth 8F’s
556 Posts
At “an inch across” it is far too big to be any kind of bark beetle (or weevil)
Guess, I should have read more carefully, X. rufovillosum (Deathwatch beetle) Is still a wood bore, of course just guessing without more detail. Although if the measurements are correct ???

·
Registered
161 Posts
Deathwatch beetle is 9 mm or less (less than 1/2 inch) long and is in the eastern US.

I’m still curious but have no idea. 🤓

1 - 9 of 9 Posts