Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good to bee here.

I am a 1 time bee handler so far. Earlier was my first encounter with my girls. They are at home with mere here on the Grand Canyon plateu around 5000'. They live in a 10 slot 9" hive...or is it 9 1/2...anyways.

They were in their hive for a nice 10 hour ride or so and the last 5 miles was verrrrry rocky and bumpy.

I let them sit for maybe 30 min and then loosened the wench around the hive so that I could remove the screen on the bottom so they could get out the bottom or the top.

I forgot my smoker but decided to dive in to let them free. I layed the hive on its side (with feeder in slot 10) and then thought I was supposed to put it on its side, so I did so gently. Then I started take'n the screen off and ripped it off fast because I was stressing I may of dumped all the syrup in the hive....got stung because I didnt zip my hood well enough and now I am worried my bees may not make it until Saturday when I can return and fill the syrup and add a super.

So now I am hope'n to hear support that the girls will be ok. ...over all they really didnt freak out to much even though I had no smoker and ripped off the bottom of the screen.

Looking back after I set the hive up well I looked at the screen that was on the bottom and only one bee was dead.

What do you think?

I am Allglad to beeeee here!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
Welcome to Beesource!

> They live in a 10 slot 9" hive...or is it 9 1/2...

I don't understand what this means. It sounds rather small for a permanent hive body .... can you post more info on this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanx Teal and Rader Sidetrack:cool:

Hmm its a hive with 10 inserts (wrong term?) and they measure 9 or so inches? dont think it matters but I thought I'd add the hive depth?

I suck at writing sometimes. ....basically I am worried about the slot feeder being empty because I tilted the hive on the back then on the side. I hope they will be ok till this weekend.

....look'n for reassurance or to hear I have to go feed them asap.

One thing that maybe important is that water is avaliable in the area so maybe they can go get it themselves until I return to feed them?

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
Ahhh .... now I see! :)

You are referring to a traditional 10 frame box (hive body), with frames approx 9 3/16" high. Those frames fit into a 9 5/8" hive body, often referred to as a 'deep'.

As an additional tidbit, if you put shorter boxes on top of the deeps for honey storage, 6 5/8" high boxes are often called 'medium' supers.

More beekeeping jargon explanations are in the Beesource Glossary (underlined terms have linked photos), and also in Michael Bush's Glossary of Beekeeping Terms, also with some linked photos.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya...so my bee keeper connection works 4 states and his wife says that even though I may of dumped most of the syrup in the tray they should be ok until the weekend. I have water less than 500 yards away.

Does this sound right?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts