Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my buddy had a friend bring over a couple of hives( he has a big place) and they obscounded. Turns out the friend really didn't know anything about beekeeping and long story short they offered the hives and spot to me!!!( wife said I couldn't put them in the yard! Boo!) so I called a local apiary and they are willing to sell me nuc's. My questions are, one hive has absolutely nothing in it. The other the bees built three partial frames of comb and there are a couple dozen/ handfuls of bees still milling about. Should I introduce the new nuc with the frames that are built? Or should I destroy whats there clean it up and start over, I haven't inspected the hive with bees because I didn't have any protective gear and was chicken, I will and if I find queen cells? Move to nuc box and let strong nuc have their hive? If it's a wash what happens to straggler bees ? Thanks really excited but inexperienced. Also the person didn't have a feeder on the hives, think it helped with there decision to beat it? We live in Montana and I swear it's just now spring! Should I feed to help the first few days? Ok you can't answer all my dumb questions and I promise I've read and searched thanks charli

·
Super Moderator
11,247 Posts
I would move one of the nucs into the empty hive, then move the struggling bees into the empty nuc. That frees up the second full size hive for the other nuc.

I'd also reduce the entrance on the nuc. As far as feeding, it would be nice to feed the struggling bees, but not in a way that will incite robbing from the full size hives. An entrance feeder is not the right choice. If the nuc hive has a bottom entrance, a top feeder would be one option. Note that no matter what you do, the struggling bees may not make it as a viable colony.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thanks for reply!so should I just let the straggler bees fly off? I've been told to remove the frames and wash and start over so then what happens to the weak bees. I think I'll put them in the nuc box and let mom take care of it if they rebound awesome! Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts