Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife already put the kibosh on this thought. But I was thinking about setting hives near the entrances to my house to help deter unwanted visitors.:shhhh:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: I wander how many other beeks have had this ideal.

Needo I like that. I may try that I will see if wife agrees to it. I had to remove a hive behind a power meter. The meter reader would not come in the yard to read meter she had to use a sight to see it.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
The guy I bought a nuc off of this yr had about 8 colonies about 2 ft from his house lined up along the wall about 12 ft from his back door

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Why not just put up a sign that says I am anti-social and do not want anyone to approach my home so go away or you will be injured?

Wayne

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I had to close off 10 of my hives last night so a workman could have bee free access to that part of the yard. I have to do that every 6 weeks or so in the summer when the bees are active. I also have 8 hives that are right up against the house.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not just put up a sign that says I am anti-social and do not want anyone to approach my home so go away or you will be injured?

Wayne
But having the bees there satisfies the passive-aggressive in me. And, I would definitely buy the cookies from the girl-scout that braves the bees.

·
Registered
194 Posts
This window...
img_2666.jpg

4 ft from my front door along the same wall (door is to the left). Needless to say, folks won't be using that door. ;)

I blocked it off with a big warning sign.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Definitely would not have let my daughters approach a house to sell cookies that had hives at the front door any more than if it had a junk-yard Rottweiler tethered to the stoop. I wouldn't approach a house like that myself, even after having kept bees since the seventies. It makes a clear, negative statement about the resident.

Thank goodness for wives with common sense.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
There was a hive sitting under the window of my daughter's bedroom from the time she was about 11 until she married and left. It's a source of great amusement to everyone in the family to this day. :)

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
There was a hive sitting under the window of my daughter's bedroom from the time she was about 11 until she married and left. It's a source of great amusement to everyone in the family to this day. :)
To keep her from climbing out?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I know a keeper that has one by his shop door. That has a double lid on it he leave honey out for you and payment goes under the top lid.

·
Registered
638 Posts
makes for a good laugh with you and your wife BUT..................
by the front door may be a little much! This morning I had set some comb i had pulled honey from out by the back door bout 10' away. At 7AM this morning them girls had already found that comb from their hives 200' away and were going CRAZY!!! Feed Frenzy Showtime! I can only imagine someone having to walk thru that to the front door!!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I've seen posts from others here who say they've done it and it is effective at keeping people away.

My bees in their present state show no aggression at all, but probably will get more defensive as they build up. If you just wanted deterrence but no danger, empty hive bodies, sealed so swarms don't move in, with something inside making a buzzing noise, ought to do the job.

Ours are in our front yard near the driveway, in a fenced enclosure. There's a bee crossing sign on the driveway before you get to them. No doubt this would keep some people away, but we're way out in the country with neighbors who are not scared of much.

Love us, love our bees. And snakes. And etc.

·
Registered
56 Posts
a large wasp nest properly located makes people wary also. Dead of course. Add a couple of preserved wasps (killed, pinned and dried) onto the outside of it.
Presto.
No more front door visitors. Or at least no more normal acting ones. People who make it past the hive tend to be jumpy and fidget at anything flying by.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where I live it would be considered a trap. If anyone was seriously hurt they could sue and would win of course and get some money from ya.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts