Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build 2 or 3 frame nucs in 8-frame boxes.

To me it looks like the easy thing to do would be to have two 2-frame, and one 3-frame.

I plan to use 3/16" dados with 1/8" dividers...

What have some of you done to divide 8-frame boxes?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I did something like that when making a queen castle. The only trick I found was understanding that the dividers combined will consume the space enough that you lose a frame. I remove the dividers and combine the mating nucs to overwinter. Vaseline in the groves keeps the dividers from getting propolized in there too tightly.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
understanding that the dividers combined will consume the space enough that you lose a frame
So my idea of having two 2-frame, and one 3-frame nucs in an 8-frame box makes sense...

I need to think about the arrangement: cutting the dados to have the 2-frames on the sides would be the easiest.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Instead of making dados, I just take a WTB and staple a piece of 1/4" plywood to it. I leave about 1/8" gap so the piece will slide into the box, but the bees can't get through. Works like a charm and doesn't require me to use dedicated boxes.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Don't you think that those nucs are going to out grow their space pretty quickly? Why don't you make 2 three frame nucs or better yet cut the box down and make one 5 frame nuc out of it.

You can always start out w/ a 2 frame nuc w/ a piece of styrofoam beside it and when that gets beefy enuf move the foam board and add a frame and so on. Or you could even start two 2 frame nucs w/ a styrofoam divider.

I have afriend who starts one frame nucs in between two sheets of foam and slowly widens them out as they need the space. It's a fast way to use queens if you have more than you really have brood and bees for.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sqkcrk,

I have a lot of five frame nucs...

Maybe I'll combine ideas by making dados for three 2-frame nucs (in an eight frame) AND cut some ridged foam to increase my options.

I could possibly incorporate Monie's idea, but I have know idea as to what "WTB" is. I think I can cut dados faster than doing anything with a stapler and 1/4" plywood. I would have more cuts and measuring to do by not making dados.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I use dummy frames to close up the space in a full size box for a nuc. Put empty frames in the unused space and it doesn't matter if they can get in there or not - usually they don't bother. As they grow move the dummy and add a frame until they fill up the box. If you want to keep it weak just steal frames of brood from them. If you want to keep 2 nucs in one box just make "weather strip" out of duct tape to make the dummy bee tight.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, you are building for the future? So you can grow your apiaries to 500 cols?
:lpf:

Noooo

I'm not one of those people. I'm about maxed out in what I can deal with equipment/storage wise. As a hobbyist, I'd be satisfied with a hand full of honey producing hives. But I would also like to have a number of nucs to play with.

I have some colonies with Charlie Harper Russians (receiving a couple more this week) that are also small cell. Three years ago, I drank the 8-frame medium-smallcell coolaid and wanted Russians.

It has taken time, but I am finally getting close to having what I wanted. Using the CH Russians I would like to see how the following generations progress as they become "local northern bees". If I have enough bees make it to spring I could possibly have a few nucs to share. If I had a lot of bees in the spring I would have to get rid off nucs.

This will be my first year to harvest some honey. I'm actually more interested in bees than honey...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts