Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I won't know until tomorrow, but I think they swarmed. It's been cloudy and rainy all week so if they did I missed it. I noticed on Tuesday a decrease in hive bearding but I attributed that to the cooler temps and overcast and rainy days. But it was clear and 98 here today and although there was a lot of activity, not a lot of bearding.

And then there is this in my oak tree. About 30 feet up above the power line.
DSC_7755A.jpg

I noticed it on Tuesday and initially thought it was another squirrel nest. I noticed this on Tuesday late afternoon.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually yes. Was concerned on Saturday when I noticed a lot of empty brood frames in the upper deep. Checked the bottom box on Sunday and it was packed with capped brood and larva. Didn't notice any queen cells. Had an orientation flight as usual on Sunday about 5:30. Still bearding even today, but on a much smaller level. Noticed earlier in the week that the bearding level was down and attributed that to lower temps and lots of rain and overcast skies. But today it was 98 and humid and still not a lot of bearding, but a lot of bees still flying in and out.

So, really not sure. Haven't seen orientation flights in a couple of days, but it has rained every afternoon. The swarm in the top of the tree is really large. So it may be another swarm as well. Just thought it odd that it appeared on Tuesday about the time I started seeing smaller numbers of bees hanging out on the outside of the hive. I will get a better look inside tomorrow.

One thing is for sure. There isn't really a way to capture this swarm. It's location would make it very dangerous to even try.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not really sure if they swarmed. Population looks lower, but not by much. New capped brood, eggs and larva, so we have a queen.

·
Registered
746 Posts
If you do indeed have eggs then the hive didn't swarm. A swarm happens just about when swarm cells are about to hatch open. It then takes about 2 weeks for the newly hatched queen to start laying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts