Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first go-around at beekeeping so bare with me. i noticed alot of bees in the grass in front of the hive so i put a sheet of paper on the bottom board to check for mites. nothing so i went in...DEEP. i've got 2 deeps and i can't find any sign of brood in either set of the frames. the top deep weight is 50+ ## but i can't see any brood at all. time to order a new queen or am i over reacting? they get pissed when i take off the top off to check the lower chamber, REAL PISSED! open for suggestions?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
hey TG, how old are they first, and are you sure there arent any queen cells anywhere and eggs deep in the cells? I recently had a gentleman bring his hive to my house thinking it was queenless and he was NOT at all. Bees slow numbers down when there is a dearth, and we are in dearth...they are pretty angry in a dearth too, and also when they are queenless. I'd say recheck again, amke dang sure you have no eggs anywhere

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
OH, and of you need a queen quick..lemmeo know, I can help ya. Not too far from you at all.....no cost to you...

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Sorry to hear about your hive. From your description it sounds like they swarmed and any replacement queen they left either didn't make it (hatch out) or hasn't started laying yet.

Did you see signs of any queen cells?

Yes you need to make sure the hive has a queen and the fact that the bees were "pissed" lends credence to the observation that they are queenless.

But before you go out and spend $20 or so on a new queen (or take devdog up on his generous offer), did you see and perhaps a better question is would you have known if you were seeing eggs and larvae? I ask as today I had a 2nd year beek going through a nuc with me after which they told me it was queenless. I looked and saw no capped brood or larvae but did see a bunch of eggs in a good pattern and after a few minutes found the new queen. So discerning eggs can be tough!

I think you ought to check the hive again in another week and if you still don't see any signs of brood you can arrange to get a queen then. In the meantime, see if you can find anyone close by to you that raises queens.

How recently did you previously do a thorough inspection? Did you see anything unusual then?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got the package of bees may 13th and i HAD to check'em out every other day! as then brood came along, i kinda fell into feeding'em everyday think all was well. bald face and european hornets came along and i watched them defend the hive well. last week i noticed when i replaced the gallon bag of sugar water in a shallow on top they had a .....different air about 'em? today i went all the way to the bottom and i saw zero worker brood. i did see a couple queen cells and some drone brood on the frames i got out. when i say pissed i mean pissed OFF! 180 degrees off from their normal behavior.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Sounds like the bees are on track to replace their queen. Your choice now is to wait and let nature take its course - or to intervene and give them a mated queen now. If you go the mated queen route you'll want to do another thorough inspection and remove all queen cells - making sure to check every frame before you introduce the new queen.

I'd relax and let the bees raise their own queen. Rejection shouldn't be an issue and the new queen should be laying within 2 weeks of emerging. If your population won't survive with that sort of a delay in new bee production than a mated queen is your better option - but that is something you have to assess for yourself or find an experienced local beek to look the situation over with you.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
TGC
Just my experience,,,,,I have better success when I let my bees take the path they choose if at all possible. I have requeened and often, the bees supersede her and then you are further behind than before. Just MO
Good luck with whatever u decide

Rick SoMd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts