Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
despite my clumsy efforts. I've gone down and sat next to the hive several times and they seem to be calm but actively working. Bringing in pollen - noticed a lot going in today especially. My only problem is that the package was apparently infested with Small Hive Beetles as I had a half dozen scurry from my site 24 hours after installing them.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
welcome to Ga beeking. Get them in full sun and keep them crowded and they will handle them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got them crowded, but full sun is not possible. I have 3 heavily wooded acres. That's something they'll have to overcome. Looking at this positively, about 25% of the trees near the hive are Tulip Poplars.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I caught a swarm in one of those flower pot style swarm traps. The bees could not have been in the trap more than a week and there were already SHBs in the trap with the bees.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I doubt they came with the bees, they can fly miles and can smell a hive from great distances. Mites on the other hand do come with the bees.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Insert a beetle trap in your hive, about all suppliers carry them and they are not expensive. You can get the disposable ones for under 2 bucks and when they are about full just throw away and add another if needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts