Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did an inspection on my hives today. Hive 1 hadn't been building up any since last week. New bees are hatching out. Since they have not built any new comb there are very few eggs to be found. I did see single eggs in several of the cells that have hatched out. However, I saw one cell at the top of the comb with two eggs in it. I took some photos and while looking at the photos I found that many of the open cells on the top of the comb have 2 eggs in them.

Since there is little room for the queen to lay (I didn't see the queen today) I suspect she deposited more than one egg in each cell. However, I am not sure. Below is a photo from one of the combs. Not all combs (5 in all) had this problem.

Any comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I see a good number of eggs in that photo with two eggs. I do know that sometimes new queens may lay a couple eggs for a short period until they become more proficient. So it could be that they superceded the old queen and the new queen just started laying. Or it could be that you are queenless and you've got a laying worker!

I would wait a bit and see if you get worker brood or drone brood out of some of these new eggs.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree with Cacklewack in that I would wait before interfering. It is not all that uncommon for a queen to deposit two eggs in a cell and it is very common for laying workers to deposit three or four in a cell. Keep an eye on things once a week. If you see even one cell with three or more eggs, then become more concerned.

Good luck,

Chris

www.thewarrestore.com

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
During my last inspection after the first batch of brood hatched out, there was only 1 egg in each of the cells. Will be doing an inspection this week to see if the cells in the above photo are drones or workers.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now for a very long awaited update...

Just in case anyone wanted to know, the cells contained workers and the queen started laying single eggs once more comb was produced.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Good to hear. I believe I went queenless early this month. On the 10th, there was only capped brood and three capped queen cells on different bars. I've been giving them time to sort things out, but I might go in tomorrow, weather permitting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts