Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4/8 frame crank extractor. It has always been hard to use. It vibrates horrible, and moves all around. I have to be leaning on top of it. Are electric ones better. I am getting to old for this crap.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Electric just keeps your from having to crank it.

The key is to balance your frames better for a more even load. An uneven load will shake regardless of how it's turned.

I use a hand crank extractor, but converted it to use my drill. I have a 10mm shaft so ordered a roller bearing for that size with an adapter for my drill. I can get my extractor going quite fast while just sitting there. It also works with a socket, sized for the square end of the crank, but if you stop the drill to fast without pulling it off it will send your drill for quite a ride.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
I have a three frame manual from Mann Lake. Mntnmyke is spot on about the need to use a bit of judgement in arranging frames. That is usually my wifes end of the operation but I had to do some myself and discovered that it had gotten extremely draggy. Had not had it apart to regrease the bottom of the tub shaft or the upper bearing and gears. The bottom sits on a single bearing ball but lateral location of the shaft is just handled by shaft fitting rather loosely inside a stainless pipe. Gummy honey is not good lube!

Anyways thoroughly cleaning out and replacing with shortening lube top and bottom made a huge difference. I have the extractor lashed and chocked on a stand. The operator stands on the step of the stand and it does not move. The discharge is at a good height for 5 gallon pails and to drain it you can just tip stand and all forward. Still portable and fits through a standard doorway

Attachments

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Yes, they are better. You can usually dial in the motor to just that point under where it starts to wobble and let it run for a few minutes. Once it has run for a few minutes and spun out a good bit of the weight on the frames, the frames begin to "equalize" and you can then turn the knob up to make it go faster. Ultimately, you have it running wide open and you sling your frames completely dry.

While the motor is spinning your extractor, you can continue to uncap frames. You can't uncap frames AND hand crank the extractor.

Are you fat and old? I am. And I am only going to get fatter and older. It is not going to get any easier on us. Rotator cuff surgery sucks. Buy a motor.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've always wanted to make a bigger stand for mine. The legs on mine go all the way up the sides, attatching in two places each. I thought I could mount something much stronger than the steel legs. Something like 3 4x4s mounted to a base that's screwed to the floor.

However, after adding new brackets to the bottom of the legs, where they touch the floor, and using big bolts to hold it down to a wood floor, it barely moves at all.

The only times I have to ask the Mrs. to put her weight on the top while I spin it is when I have an unbalanced load ;)

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,531 Posts
I bought the Maxant 3100H because i was too cheap to get it with the motor. 1 season was all it took to convince me that a motor was the only way to go. Have had the motor for two years and love it. Using an uncapping knife and trimming the frames to the same depth helps keep things in balance. Had a terrible time when just using an uncapping fork.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Aim even higher...

...flow hive.

:lpf:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Crofter " I have the extractor lashed and chocked on a stand." I was "gifted" a 20 frame extractor. After one summer I mounted to each leg 3-wheel casters. THe casters sit on thick rubber pads ( dampers). I get to maximum RPM after 1 low RPM spin for 10 minutes. I can walk away and let the timer do it's thing.

·
Registered
2020 8 hives
206 Posts
I have an older Dadant 2 frame hand crank. On years when I get less than 5 supers I spin them with that. My mentor has a 20 frame radial that I can use for more than that. I've used it a couple of times and electric sure is easy. The down side is he keeps the capping as rent.

I have a 3 leg stand under mine that is bolted to a plywood base. I sit this on top of a table that I made and use for all kinds of stuff and clamp it down. That works well except when I get it unbalanced.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Crofter " I have the extractor lashed and chocked on a stand." I was "gifted" a 20 frame extractor. After one summer I mounted to each leg 3-wheel casters. THe casters sit on thick rubber pads ( dampers). I get to maximum RPM after 1 low RPM spin for 10 minutes. I can walk away and let the timer do it's thing.
Probably a better idea to allow everything to center itself instead of force it to be still. My wife needed the extra step to make the top crank accessible. We usually only do about 7 or 8 mediums. I have used my son's 18 frame from Mann Lake but then my stamina becomes the weak link in the operation.:rolleyes: Now if someone had a larger, powered one they were looking to find a home for, I am sure my wife would approve.

·
Registered
344 Posts
We did about 100 medium frames in our first year, 50 in mid summer, 50 last week, totaling over 200 pounds. I bought a motorized 3 frame Vevo extractor for $200 delivered on FleaBay and, maybe because it was our first year, we had a family event doing it. The first harvest took around 4 hours, my daughter/partner use a hand capping fork ($5 Tractor Supply) sat in the kitchen un capping and I ran the frames out to the back porch and spun them as quick as she un-capper. Momma supervised, being a crazy baker, had 4 large cookie pans that my daughter un-capped over and then handed me frames on top of one, cycle in another while I spun and drained into a filter bucket. It was amazingly clean and the $200 extractor worked well, cleaned up quick after my wife scrapped everything down with a rubber spatula. As a hobbyist, the $200 unit looks like it'll last for years to come. If you're not doing a 1000 frames, that wouldn't work.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
LarryBud "As a hobbyist, the $200 unit looks like it'll last for years to come."

I rented from the club for my first spin. A little time-math and I made one of my best beekeeping decisions and bought a 20 frame, variable speed, electric driven. Now able, I always buy the best tools but still have a bunch from the 1950's. I love the fact that I can store frames in it during the Spring- Summer until I get 20 fill frames. I spin them until light weight and really dry then freeze the frames for a week and recycle back. "Gotta" build more supers.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have a 2 frame generic hand spinner that I picked up for $50 three years ago. This year after spinning about 100 frames, I decided that an electric is in my future (I hope). Next year i expect to spin several times as much, and can't imagine doing it with the hand crank.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Question

Is your handle crank to the basket tight? Many of the cheaper extractors have a fitting there with a red spider plastic connector where the handle connects to the basket assembly. Mine went out this year causing a lot more than the usual vibration than usual. I had the plastic washer tear up but the HE joint had come a little loose where it connects the two parts causing extra wable in the unit.
If the connector is lose or the spyder fiting is broken here is the post to fix that problem.
The connectors have been on back order for several months. AP has some for next day delivery and there is a post here stating the spiders are back in stock if that is a problem.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
562 Posts

Bought this one for $269 delivered and love it. Price went up since yesterday for Petes sake. The Hive Jive podcast recommends this one by name. Really good for small apiaries and its electric. Bolted it to plywood then set on top of furniture dolly to eliminate shimmy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts