Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a hive check yesterday everything looked good so since its fall thought it would be a good time to treat for mites before winter. Installed Mite Away Quick Strips Followed the directions to the letter and this morning I have very few bees going in and out not hardly any at the entrance and lots of dead bees on the ground in front of the hive. Any ideas from anyone about what to do.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Let them be for a while. I find with formic acid some dead bees outside the hive, and
without a lot of activity for a couple of days. Did you have entrance reducer taken off?
They might not be as active in the morning with the cool nights. After a few days you should
see more activity. I find treating mites in early August works to suppress the number of mites before
winter bees develop.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did remove the reducer and did not plan on bothering them for a week like it says to do, I will check them in about 8 or 9 days and remove what is left of the strips and reinstall the reducer. Thanks for the answer hopefully in a week I will still have a hive. I think come spring I will find a different treatment I don't like the way this one works so far.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have treated 24 hives in early August with Formic Pro and done so in the past few years.
This year I found 1 hive without a queen a month after starting treatment. Don't know
if that loss of a queen was from the treatment. I have had good success with FP.

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
You do lose some queens treating with formic acid. I found putting a drop of lemongrass oil on the underside of the mat helped with that. It is actually the bees get aggro and kill the queen, the lemongrass reduces it.

Re the dead bees, me anyway, if I don't see some dead bees and pulled larva, it probably wasn't strong enough to do a good job on the mites. Which is the problem with formic, don't want to overdo it and kill all the bees either, and yes I've done that too.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Used it once, never will again.

It kills all the mites because it also kills the bees.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Did a hive check yesterday everything looked good so since its fall thought it would be a good time to treat for mites before winter. Installed Mite Away Quick Strips Followed the directions to the letter and this morning I have very few bees going in and out not hardly any at the entrance and lots of dead bees on the ground in front of the hive. Any ideas from anyone about what to do.
Did you use the 2 strip or 1 strip method? NEVER use the 2 strip method. Yes, the directions cover this but 2 strips is FAR too strong and will cause tremendous damage to the hive unless you take additional measures to add space and ventilation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts