Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided today after getting stung again, that I apparently like to get stung by bees. I must enjoy it, I never wear leather gloves and I get stung by the same two hives every time I look into them. I bought some Nytrile gloves but I don't wear them anymore either. Now the face, I don't like getting stung there so I do wear my jacket and veil.

So back to my disorder. Getting stung by a bee hurts like the dickens for 10-15 seconds, then it doesn't hurt anymore, to me anyway. It just itches. I rarely get stung more than 2 or 3 times per inspection day, and most of the time only once or twice. The bees seemed nicer last year when the flow was on, so I would imagine that they will calm down pretty soon as the flow is starting here.

So anybody else stupid like me or am I on a island by myself?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I dont wear anything, except a veil if they seem testy, maybe rubber gloves if Im going deep in the hive. Seems bulky leather gloves cause more casualties which I assume creates the anger. Of course I am only working a couple hives. I dont mind a sting or two, or three, other than the bees killing themselves, It helps the arthritis in my hands actually. G

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well I don't like to get stung but it doesn't do anything but itch me as you say. I remember getting stung for the first time, I had been doing it a few years at that point. It hurt like the dickens I was working on the inner cover and didn't realize he was on there, got me on the thumb. Well the next year I was moving some hives and dropped one off a truck bed. Needless to say they were ticked, got me 15 or 20 times through the suit. Ever since then it itches like the dickens when I get stung, but doesn't hurt. Go figure?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
biggraham, I don't have arthritis, but I have figured out that my hayfever type allergies which are bad 365 days per year don't bother me for a day or two after getting stung. Honey helps, but bee stings help more, for me anyway.

beehonest, I don't know how you made it a few years without getting stung. I think I made it one inspection. LOL

I don't see how anyone can do an inspection with leather gloves on. I have a hard enough time barehanded.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Im like you the leather seemed way too bulky, but I suppose if I was working a yard with 100 hives I could see their usefulness. Then 2-3 would turn into 200-300 stings......:eek:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I got my first sting to the face as a newbie trying to be all billy badass no nothing at the bee pic up today . Decided after the old man without anything said I mite want to suit up I decided i mite listin . Lol

Didnt hurt at all just felt like a tattoo gun for a second .

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's risk reward with some behavior modification thrown in for kicks. Got tapped the other day in the face, but it seems i was asking for it in hindsight. It itches more now than it did for the first 24 hours. Just glad i was wearing sunglasses.

I think i've got it too, Brad.

·
Banned
4,229 Posts
I don't think wearing a jacket, veil, and gloves is too much to ask for peace of mind.

My reaction to bee stings is basically, pinch, heat, then a little itch.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Pinch and heat? What are you pinching? The bee? What are you heating? What about scrapping the stinger off? Isn't that your first reaction? It is mine.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Brad, stick w/ the medical disorder idea. Don't put yourself down. Others will do that for you often enough.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You never know when an anaphylactic reaction will take place after a sting. You can be fine, and then one day the body decides to overreact. Not telling you ho w to inspect your bees. You know what you like, and know more about your hives than I do. But you may want to have an epi-pen or auvi-q injection system with you at all times.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I paid good money for a suit to keep from getting stung, I'm going to use it. :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I got one in the face on Monday, scraped the stinger and sac right away. On Wednesday, the itching was unbelievable!

I visited my homeopath, and he recommended coconut oil. He said that it is anti-inflammatory and anti-itch.

I rubbed the coconut oil in while it was itching like mad later that day, and it worked- put out the itchy inferno.
It was strange rubbing something that I cook with on a regular basis on my face, but if it's good enough to go in my body, why not on it!?!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I used to swell up like a balloon when hit in the face, but after getting stung on the hands(through gloves) 30+ times during a cutout last year, I don't swell any more. Now it just stings a little for a couple of seconds and then I'm good to go. I only used gloves during cutouts because of the mess. Can't stand gloves in the bee yard. I only use a jacket in the bee yard. Most times I don't get a single hit but once in a while a couple per day on the hands. I truly believe a couple of hits a day will keep the doctor away.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The pain I can take because it doesn't last but for a few minutes but I swell up big time. Two weeks ago I took a sting to the eyelid and it swelled up enough to where I couldn't open that eye for 2 days. Yesterday I was an idiot and did something I shouldn't have without gloves and got stung just below the fingernail. Now my whole hand looks like a balloon and I can't make a fist. Do you guys find that you don't swell up as bad as the years go by? I've only had bees for 3 weeks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts