Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start off let me state they I'm trying to see a difference of running half of my 10 hive without queen excluders and the other with. Well at some point in spring I must have trapped a queen above my excluder, this is a first for me. Well as you can imagine these were on frames of honey and she just never was able to lay new eggs. When I went in 3 weeks ago to get the honey supers off I realized what I had done. Well I took the honey off and immediately got her back in the brood box. She was about the excluded for probably a few weeks to a month. Once I got her back in the brood box she hasn't laid at all. It's been 3 weeks now. I figure I killed her drive by honey bounding her I guess. I took her out and put her in a queen holder with about 10 workers and taking her old colony and newspaper combining it with a smaller queen right hive in the morning. What are y'all s thought on this Queen? She just walks around the frames like she knows she needs to lay but doesnt. Has 4 frames of pulled comb empty for 3 weeks. Should I just dispatch her and make queen lure or take another chance in a small nuc?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bet she just went bad they would have moved the nest for her if she was able to lay. A queen not laying is often times small enough to go through an excluder. I would smash myself. Probably time to add frame of eggs and kettle them make a new one if you want or combine or whatever.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I bet she just went bad they wTheould have moved the nest for her if she was able to lay. A queen not laying is often times small enough to go through an excluder. I would smash myself. Probably time to add frame of eggs and kettle them make a new one if you want or combine or whatever.[/QUOTE
The flow is over where you live. Feed the hive,and make her think that there is a flow. She will lay some eggs,if she doesn't do good the bees will replace her. I would give the hive a frame of open blood to keep some young bees in the hive.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Did Everyone miss the fact he already combined the hive with a queenright hive. What's done is done. If she was a spent queen she will only lay drone brood. Queen are know to take a break during severe dearth, and they begin laying again. If she will not lay when given the opportunity and conditions then what value is she? Swarm lure that what! Since you have already combined the colonies, just be done with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts