Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The top hived had to weigh close to 90 pounds yet ended a good 25 feet away.
Weird thing is whatever it was cleaned out the lower hive where the bees and any brood would be and left most the frames of honey alone. We only live about a mile and a half from downtown but butt up next to 50 acers of woods. I can't think of anything else that could do this kind of damage to my hive other than a bear,

·
Registered
376 Posts
View attachment 61483

Weird thing is whatever it was cleaned out the lower hive where the bees and any brood would be and left most the frames of honey alone. We only live about a mile and a half from downtown but butt up next to 50 acers of woods. I can't think of anything else that could do this kind of damage to my hive other than a bear,
I feel for your grief.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

It could be a bear. When you see bear attacks they will have everything destroyed and spread out over huge wide spaces; very much like how your pic looks. This may be what happened.

Any tracks? You could also see if you can get a pic of any tracks you see.

Although I haven't had this happen to me.

Supposedly people try solar electric fences to curb this, but I don't know how well it works. And I'm not sure how long you could move any surviving hives and for how long to make the predator think there's nothing left to come back for. (This last idea might be worth a try; making him think there's nothing to come back for.)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And I'm not sure how long you could move any surviving hives and for how long to make the predator think there's nothing left to come back for. (This last idea might be worth a try; making him think there's nothing to come back for.)
There are no surviving hive, this was my first and one and only, so yeah, nothing to come back for.
But I also raise meat rabbits and was told it will go after them next. :eek:

·
Registered
463 Posts
The larvae supplies protein and fat to the bear. That may be why they only went after the brood. It's kind of late in the season up there to have brood present, though. There may have been honey in the bottom box as well since the brood space was dwindling and the bees filled it up with late season honey. The bear will be back since it was a productive raid. As long as it can get food before hibernation it will stick around.
Maybe you could put put cattle panels around and on top of your rabbit cages. Wire them together with stout wire. You can cut the panels to length with some bolt cutters.
If you are going keep having bees you will need a bear proof electric fence.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
View attachment 61483

Most likely a bear. Move your hives or get a fence. They will be back

·
Registered
427 Posts
It was a BEAR. You found the proof when the honey was left and the brood gone. Bears go after the brood because it is all protein, they don't really care about the honey. Depending on the temperature you may find the queen in all that mess. Look for a ball of bees...they will be trying to keep her warm. Restack your hive into one box with as much honey as you can get, even cutting out comb and rubber banding it into frames. If you can find her you have a chance (slim) for them to survive. You need a bear fence immediately! YouTube has videos on fencing for bears

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
many people around Ithaca have been reporting hives getting wiped out by bears in the last couple of weeks. Bears seem to be out late this year due to the drought and lack of food. sorry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like a bear to me; probably a black bear. I'm in Alaska and they are a problem. I'm a begining bee keeper and bears are my biggest concern. One of the things to remember about bears is their fur is electrically conductive. With this said electric fences are a good deterrent. When you set up your fence you need two loops; an inner and an outer. Bears will touch the wire once, get shocked and might jump through the fence by mistake and break the wire. But when they come to the second wire they will avoid it; especially if it is marked with something distinctive such as surveyors tape/flagging tied onto the wire at intervals. Bears are very intellegent, probably smarter than most dogs. As soon as they see any flagging they will avoid it because they assume it is electrified. I hope this helps. Sorry to see your hives destroyed.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Esker, I spent a year in Alaska (Cape Romanzof AFS) and where I was I did not see a single bear. I went to Anchorage for a week and bears were everywhere. Put a location in your profile so we will know more about your area in case you ask a question;location means everything. Good luck to you in the upcoming spring. Alaska is an awesome state but you can't make many mistakes.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
don't know where you are located but here is a post from today "
FYI, the Ithaca West Hill bear is still active in my neighborhood (off of 79W between the inlet and EcoVillage)

I had one of my hives knocked over last night around 2:40 a.m. Only lost 1~2 frames of honey and a small cluster remained, so I reassembled to wait and see if it survives. Now I finally installed the electric fence that I've been putting off buying!"

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
don't know where you are located but here is a post from today "
FYI, the Ithaca West Hill bear is still active in my neighborhood (off of 79W between the inlet and EcoVillage)

I had one of my hives knocked over last night around 2:40 a.m. Only lost 1~2 frames of honey and a small cluster remained, so I reassembled to wait and see if it survives. Now I finally installed the electric fence that I've been putting off buying!"
I am on the West Hill so probably the same bear

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Bear and while they do eat honey, they want the protein. Even if you had no brood, the smell was still there.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
I like protein. Bears are protein.

I recently saw a signature line that read something like, If God did not intend for us to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?

Reactions: Gray Goose

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
I like protein. Bears are protein.

I recently saw a signature line that read something like, If God did not intend for us to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
Now you sound like you are from Texas!

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,882 Posts
Now you sound like you are from Texas!
In which case I would have said "I like Bexar" and see how many people got it. While those not from Texas are pondering that, I did want to express my condolences to the OP for the damage that the real bear caused.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
In which case I would have said "I like Bexar" and see how many people got it. While those not from Texas are pondering that, I did want to express my condolences to the OP for the damage that the real bear caused.
Ok I admit I’m pondering (somewhat :)..) crazy weather here in upstate NY where bears should not be still ambling about.
Theresalynn, the bears will walk close in Town, they have no boundaries when hungry, and they LOVE the smell of a hive.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
6,882 Posts
Deb, Bexar county is the San Antonio area. It is pronounced "bear" as the x has an h sound and is pretty much silent. Love it when people say "bek sar" :)

Reactions: Cloverdale

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Deb, Bexar county is the San Antonio area. It is pronounced "bear" as the x has an h sound and is pretty much silent. Love it when people say "bek sar" :)
That’s where my daughter had her second child but for some reason that County doesn’t sound familiar. Big State.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you, it was first and only hive. BUT I shall not give up. I have a fence charger and the next set up will come with a powerful strong electric fence

1 - 20 of 27 Posts