Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 6 weeks all my hives have laying queens and the populations are rebounding. During the lead up to deciding to split I was monitoring for queen cells and signs of overcrowding. After splitting I left them alone for 4 weeks then began checking for eggs, larvae, queens etc. Now that all hives are queenright, what should I be looking for during inspections? Should I be monitoring the hive population? Honey and pollen stores? Or just a weekly inspection for eggs and the general well being of the hive? We are heading into the last of the nectar flow season. Last year was my first year and the season went like this for me Nucs>swarm>raise queen>treat mites>swarm>raise queen> treat mites>Winter. The whole season I never had stable hives. This is the first point that I feel like I have things under control and I don't want to miss something important I should be monitoring for hives in their current state. What should I watch for?

·
Registered
457 Posts
If they are swarming all of the time then they might not have enough space, they sounds like good bees, you should have supers on them and undrawn foundation in the hive so that everyone has something to do. Bored and crowded bees tend to swarm a lot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts