Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace the temperary bottom screen in my top bar hive and just wanted to get a few ideas on when to do this task, how to work around the feral bees that are all over the bottom screen and all over the sides of the TBH!! It actually looks impossible because there is so many bees but it has to be done!! The temp. bottom screen was placed on the hive because thats all that was available at the time when i captured the swarm but now that i have the #8 mesh wire i would like to take off the cheap thin bottom screen thats on the hive now and replace it with the #8 mesh wire. I can take one end of the screen and pull it off the bottom or i can use a brush...Either way im gonna have alot of flyers!! I just need a few ideas on how to approach or how to go about this task so i have a game plan!! Any "experienced" ideas is appreciated!!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
What I would do: I would build a second TBH with dimensions that would accommodate the top bars from the first TBH, then move the entire contents of the first hive, into the second. Now the original is empty and you can work on it to your hearts content. Whenever I wish to adjust a hive, or repair one, that is how I do it.

Build the new one, just the way you want it -- then move the bees over. Now, make any and all adjustments to the old TBH. Now you have an empty TBH that can be used in many different ways. Catch swarms, do splits from the other TBHs that you have, etc.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i have a tazanian top bar hive built and sitting in the garage! The top dimensions are the same..It will just be angled comb going into a square box, it will work! Im wondering if it would be best if i waited up to the time they decide to cluster and then i would be able to fix the screen on the bottom without having a bunch of bees hanging all over the screen! Thats what i been thinking!! It would be alot easier!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Sounds like you are already prepared to do it like I described, that's great.

You mean, Winter cluster? Sounds like it may be hazardous. I've heard that when Winter clusters are disturbed the bees that leave the cluster can be chilled and die.

----------
If you placed the TTBH next to the present hive, then moved the combs over, within a short time all the bees will be in and on the TTBH and the old hive will be nearly bee-free, ready to be worked on.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah you got a point there about the disturbing the cluster...thats why i wanted to open this thread cause several minds work better then just one! You can pretty much get several ideas, put them all together and come up with the best solution that will get the task done properly. I took notice this morning around 10am i walked out there and 95% of the bees were off the sides and 50% was off the bottom! So just maybe i would get away with doing it of a morning when its 55 Degrees! Instead of waiting for the cluster, it would be done before winter so it would not disturb the bees to where they would freeze and die. Anything above 50 degrees should be just fine! I really would like to keep them in this hive. The picture of the hive is on my profile picture! Its an observation hive, i went by chandlers plans and made a few changes and added a few things of my own ideas! On the bottom i have a bottom board lowered & attached by using 4" inch long metal brackets. If i decided to use it at anytime all i would have to do is raise it up. There would be 3 levels...Fully open, half open and closed! So far its been fully open like in the photo.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah this a good idea, i believe im gonna go this route! The thought of having the hive to myself is a plus. They would be to irritated with me trying to fix it with a full house! Right now they are still bringing in honey so im gonna wait alil bit longer before i do anything yet! Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can get some more of that # 8 wire mesh from a source here in Jersey...

http://www.bwire.com/

I know they have a ton of the 8 mesh and 5 mesh in stock and ready to ship ASAP.
Just ordered a 50 foot roll of the 5 mesh for another similar project I was doing. Just a suggestion if you are looking to cut cost and get a good quality product.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is 2mm screen to small? I've read 2.5 to 3.5 is what you should use. How small is to small and how big is to big?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Was wondering how this went as well. As a temporary you could go and buy window screen material which is soft & pliant, does not poke or adjust with difficulty and fairly cheap. It is smaller than 1/8th but then all you want to do is keep robbers out and at this time of the year the mite population is down to zero.
So, how did you handle the problem? Curious minds want to know!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts