Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple supers of drawn comb and a couple of undrawn foundation. Can I add more than one super of undrawn foundation to a hive and not cause a problem? Can I ad a super of drawn and a super of undrawn and not cause a problem? If I can add both then do I put the undrawn fondation on the bottom or top?

Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
You can add the drawn supers all at once. The foundation you have to add one super at a time. My thinking is you might mix a super of foundation and a super of drawn comb. Put 5 frames of drawn comb to the sides and 5 frames of foundation in the middle. The bees will draw out the center frames and have the side frames to use for nectar storage.

Here in eastern Virginia the nectar flow is about over if not done and I've been pulling full frames and reducing.

Good luck,
Pete0

·
Registered
918 Posts
When I have a mix of drawn comb and undrawn foundation I usually mix the two together in the same super. I use one foundation, one drawn comb, one foundation, one drawn comb, etc. etc. The drawn comb seems to guide the bees in drawing out the undrawn foundation more evenly when you intermix them. I've put on as many as three supers at a time when intermixed like this with no problems.

I would not put on more than one complete super of undrawn foundation at a time.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Depends on the flow you have going on. Drawn can all go on at once. I've put 2 supers of foundation on a strong hive during a heavy flow and gotten them both drawn at the same time. I think if your not sure just do it one super of foundation at a time. Mixing drawn comb and foundation in the same super will work but many times you get comb that is uneven because they draw out the drawn comb further into the space of the frame of foundation. If you want to put on a super of foundation and a drawn super at the same time, I'd put the foundation below the drawn super. JMHO

Dan

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
What Dan said. Especially the
<Mixing drawn comb and foundation in the same super will work but many times you get comb that is uneven because they draw out the drawn comb further into the space of the frame of foundation.>

I might work. But it's more sure to do a whole super of foundation.

Hawk

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
>>But it's more sure to do a whole super of foundation

I agree with Hawk. It will work to mix foundation and drawn comb. I don't like it. I would prefer to do a whole super of foundation. I usually do use one frame of drawn to bait them into the super though.

Dan

·
Registered
327 Posts
I don't understand the reasoning behind your preference to use a full box of foundaton...

Checkerboarding frames of drawn comb and foundation ensures the foundation to be drawn out to a uniform thickness. If you put on a full box of foundation, what you get will be anybodies guess, some frames will be so thick with comb that you can't pull that frame out without scraping the cappings off on the adjacent top bar.

Adding drawn comb to that super also gives the colony immediate access to store their nectar, and will often encourage them to move nectar up and out of the brood chamber giving the queen more space to lay. If you already have drawn comb to use what would you save it for, a rainy day?

Please enlighten me if my ramblings are off base.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
When I mix foundation with uniform capped honey frames or frames of brood I usually get nicely uniform frames drawn out.

However, when I have tried to intermix frames of foundation with drawn frames in the honey storage area I have had different results. They usually jump right on the foundation and begin to draw it out. The problem is that many times they also draw out the drawn comb further and many times it invades the space of the frame next to it. The result is that I get one frame that is underdrawn or not uniformly drawn out and the other that extends beyond it's normal area. This does not always happen but happens enough that I'd rather use one drawn frame as bait in a whole super of foundation than to get alot of frames that aren't equally drawn out. By bottom supering with foundation I've noticed that the bees hate to cross foundation to get to the honey above. If nothing else they'll draw out the middle 3 frames.

Comb that is not drawn uniformly happens alot when I have a drawn super that is partially filled and then put foundation into the mix.

Although still an issue it seems to happen less when putting foundation intermixed with empty drawn combs on the hive.

If I had drawn comb I'd put that on first because as you said they can use it immediately. I've had the trouble (the mess) mixing the foundation and drawn comb that you suggest you have when putting on a whole box of foundation.

There is no doubt that it can be done.... I've just had difficulties with it.

Just my observations.

Dan

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
What kind of foundation matters. A good recipe for disaster is to mix plastic with wax. Better to put on a 10 frame super of plastic all at the same time.

Dickm

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I didn't think I should put on undrawn foundation at the same time as drawn. I have enough ready to go that when they finish filling the drawn stuff I will add a super of foundation to each hive when I remove the full supers for extracting.

D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts