Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a used Maxant 30 frames honey extractor tomorrow for 2800$ Canadian dollars about 2100$ USD... It's 6 years old...

I was wondering what you guys think of this price and if I should avoid it for any reason. Do they have a good reputation? I can't find any videos on this specific model of a maxant 30 frames because it looks like they don'T sell those model anymore...

Let me know!

extractor.jpg

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Maxant is the Cadillac of the industry. You can't go wrong if the price is right. Do you need a 30 frame extactor? I have 20 hivs and use a Maxant 3100P 9-frame (6 medium radially) extractor.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I offer some technical comments:

1. Look for pitting, especially done at the bottom seam. I say this because I could not find-out the specific stainless steel used by Maxant. Pitting may mean it is not acid resistant.

2. Is it variable speed - I find it very important when balancing loads and avoiding dancing.

3. Drum or cage diameter and rpm are important extraction performance parameters, bigger diameter the better, higher maximum rpm the better.

4. Check the bearing to see if worn / sloppy.

5. Safety features, if any. Mine extractor, 20 frame, has protection interlocks ( grandkids) and emergency-off switch and braking.

6. Does it have a timed shut off.

Preferences:

1. I like a clean top. My DC motor is on the bottom and a belt drive - no issues but cannot be used to store large amounts of honey. Bottom bearing joint design does not have a fluid seal.

2. mixed frame size ability - I can run 20 mediums or 8 deeps with 12 medium, mixing in even numbers to balance the load.

3. Cleaning - look for any cleaning issues.

4. Fixed installation location or moving it? Issues? I move / roll mine around.

When I put it all together I did not buy Maxant (lack of information), purchasing online and used email, ended up with a Lyson 20 frame, 330 RPM, acid resistant, 115 AC input variable speed with a plexiglass top. It also runs on 12Vdc battery in the field if I wish.

Complaints adn observations:

1. no installation instructions - there is the dancing issue for all machines. I "floated mine this year" and it works well plus I can move it, tip it to drain. Originally I seldom could reach max. RPM due to frame balancing issues like propolis, mixed types, etc. and missing some capped spots or capped sides. I floated it on "soft mounts" now I get to max. RPM every time - nice dry frames but lost my dance partner. But I love being able to walk away now and have a timed shut-off.

2. The power inverter has a high frequency whine at low RPM. It reduces as RPM goes up, disappears at max. RPM. Annoying.

3. Fortunately I was able to buy one, powered extractor, otherwise my arm would have fallen off by now.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Maxant is the Cadillac of the industry. You can't go wrong if the price is right. Do you need a 30 frame extactor? I have 20 hivs and use a Maxant 3100P 9-frame (6 medium radially) extractor.
I have 40 hives and use a Maxant 3100P. A 30 frame extractor is overkill with fewer than 100 hives, IMHO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I thank you for your reply, since it was the only one to come in before buying it, I just pulled the trigger on it lol!

I know it's WAYYYYYY OVERKILL for my 4 hives. But there are reasons behind it.
1. I will never have to sell/buy a new one until the end of my beekeeping carreer
2. COVID 19 / Canada /availability :
Those great Extractors are made in USA, I wish I could just go there, but I can't pick it up and go home. The border is closed and Maxant will ask for a broker for the customs paperwork and it's way too complicated and too much $$ for shipping it home.
3. There are other ones sold by Canadian retailers but I don't know why, but here in Quebec, it looks like new extractors are WAY too expensive for what it is... There is a impossible markup price on them that it's not even worth to consider buying from them. I found some in Ontario for a decent price, but again, out of stock/BO....
4. I want to enjoy every bit of beekeeping. I'm afraid that I will get tired of the extraction process if I had to switch frame from one side to the other and waiting 15 minutes for each 2 frames I need to extract.
5. I do think in this case that money is not that big a of a problem to me because I do think I could sell this beast in 10 years for good money.
6. I could use it for other people and charging for it.

Cons :
1. Motor could break on me since it's used for many years now
2. I did not do all my research about this model (it's a 4000-30 Maxant) although it is near impossible to find and I really don't know why. I sent an email to Maxant and I'm still waiting for a reply from them to have a bit of history about this extractor and check with them if I could replace the motor if need be later on.
3. It IS a compulsive buy, I do regret buying it for so much $ but according to all the backordered / Out of stock extractors on the market and none available in the used market I felt squeezed to buy this one in order to have an extractor for my hives.
4. I needed an extractor "NOW", I couldn't see myself destroying the hardly built honeycombs of my bees to extract honey. Those frames are very important to me for next season. When you need something NOW during a COVID19 situation, you're in a hell of a problem already... Even amazon is taking FOREVER to ship little things I can't imagine an extractor...

That being said, it is home now and it is MASSIVE. It's SUPER strong I do not think this will shake at all if I balance my weight properly. Also, the basket inside is very well built. I need to wash it good though it's a bit dirty.

IT can take 30 medium or deep frames at the same time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I offer some technical comments:
Model : 4000-30
Manufacturer : Maxant

Thank you very much Robert for your assistance!

1. Pitting : I will check if I notice any signs of pitting to be honest I wasn't familiar with this term and I googled the image and now that I know what it looks like I will check into it.

2. Is it variable speed : Yes and it's FAST...

3. The cage can take up to 30 frames Deep/medium frames at the same time. It is huge and again, it spins fast.

4. Bearing : It was a very hard one to check unfortunately, I wasn't able to dissasemble the whole unit to check that before buying it.

5. Safety features : There is a break available at the top, and a switch on/off, but that's about it.

6. Timer : Not available. But for me, I do feel it's just an extra feature but maybe I'll feel the need later on, worst case scenario you put a timer outlet maybe??

Preferences:

1. Clean top : It is not a clean top unfortunately, I wish it was.

2. Mixed frame size ability : 30 deeps or mediums

3. Cleaning : This is a going to be a pain in the ass since it is not clean top, but I knew that before buying and I might regret it later on but I do think the fact that it is such a huge bowl I kinda have the space to work around stuff but I don't know time will tell....
4. Fixed installation location or moving it? This is definitely a FIXED location extractor lol. It is heavy and not easy to move around...

I'm glad you shared your point of view / review of your own to get and idea of the irritants when using an extractor. I do not have a manual as well, no noise at any rpm so far for me with this unit, we'll see when it's heavy loaded.

I noticed though I cannot make it move until i reach the speed 3 or 4. Not sure if it's normal lol, but it spins like crazy and I didn't even tried at the fastest setting because it was fast enough for me!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 40 hives and use a Maxant 3100P. A 30 frame extractor is overkill with fewer than 100 hives, IMHO.
I totally feel you on this one, I even said to the guys selling it to me that I was a crazy guy and I DIDN'T need it that big but according to my current situation this is what I ended up with anyway...! hehe

I plan on doubling my hives every year until I reach a point where it's too much time since I do have a full time job.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
SHREHPOWER "I just pulled the trigger" - I think it was a smart move. I do not regret "wasting" my money on my Lyson. I know of 10 people, combined buy, waiting for their extractors from Maxant. I never got an answer to email either. I love to recycle or keep my new tools forever (1950 table saw from my father).

If you need help, just ask. Balancing tricks: 1) start slow and observe the "pattern" when the honey comes out while extracting - you learn to trouble shoot with this - my extractor floats free but does not dance across the floor. 2) if out of balance after slow spin, check frames by lifting them quickly - you will quickly identify a heavy frame, usually an uncapping issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will probably make a youtube video about it so you guys can see it and and let me know what you think of it...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SHREHPOWER "I just pulled the trigger" - I think it was a smart move. I do not regret "wasting" my money on my Lyson. I know of 10 people, combined buy, waiting for their extractors from Maxant. I never got an answer to email either. I love to recycle or keep my new tools forever (1950 table saw from my father).

If you need help, just ask. Balancing tricks: 1) start slow and observe the "pattern" when the honey comes out while extracting - you learn to trouble shoot with this - my extractor floats free but does not dance across the floor. 2) if out of balance after slow spin, check frames by lifting them quickly - you will quickly identify a heavy frame, usually an uncapping issue.

Haha thanks for your reply I'm glad some of you find it ok to buy such a huge extractor. I do think I will enjoy over time since right now I'm not a huge beekeeper yet.

1950 table saw that's nice haha!

Thank you so much for offering your help it is awesome. I will definitely go slow and learn as I go with the beast.

Again thanks for suggestions / recommendations to all .

·
Registered
71 Posts
1. no installation instructions - there is the dancing issue for all machines. I "floated mine this year" and it works well plus I can move it, tip it to drain. Originally I seldom could reach max. RPM due to frame balancing issues like propolis, mixed types, etc. and missing some capped spots or capped sides. I floated it on "soft mounts" now I get to max. RPM every time - nice dry frames but lost my dance partner. .
I would like to know more about how you floated yours. I was dancing most of the day yesterday and it wasn't the fun kind.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Fairly simple really: I use 3 wheel casters or piano casters bolted to the each leg of the of extractor. The casters sit on 3 thick rubber pads about 8-inches square. This way I can easily tilt to drain the bottom or move the unit after extracting.

The idea is to allow the extractor to spin about its' Center of Gravity with honey frames installed (check you extractor before installing frames to be sure it is balanced). If honey is un-balanced ,typical, a slow start up and draining is suggested. THischanges things usually for the better. If the unbalance gets worse - check for uncapped sides or sections of frames you may have missed.

I just started this season doing this and I am happy - it gets to max RPM every time now resulting in dry frames and a higher net output. I do take my time. Also realize as you go up in RPM you will likely go through resonance point - more top displacement- but it then drops off; typically happens to me often but reduces at max. RPM ( it might also be the pilley drive accelrating). It has never danced off the pads but stays in one place (I have not tried to exaggerate the motion). The rubber dampens roller motion and converts it to heat; rubber pads was a door entrance mats from Walmarts. I can walk away form mine with confidence now and the timer shuts it off.

You can mount it to plywood and then rollers and pads which will raise the leg resonance value but I like having my bucket stationary. I watch the flow / dribble pattern to learn and it is easier to move buckets around too.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Fairly simple really: I use 3 wheel casters or piano casters bolted to the each leg of the of extractor. The casters sit on 3 thick rubber pads about 8-inches square. This way I can easily tilt to drain the bottom or move the unit after extracting.

Another way is to just bolt the legs to a triangle piece of plywood....the heavier the better.

That's what I did with my crappy mann lake 18 frame. Actually, it's all right though not a Cadillac.

As far as the purchase goes, I would think that it would not be difficult to sell should you decide to do so. The main issue with the 'overkill' is the space it takes up. If you have the space, no problem.

·
Registered
6a 4th yr 7 colonies inc. resource hive
637 Posts
3rd year- just bought and used my extractor Vivo V400E 4/8 frame $369. US. 5 production hives plus 1 (2 queen) resource hive. As odd as it sounds I wanted one that is lighter weight to be sure I can pick it up and move it. Now that I have extracted I find that very valuable. Also- bolted it to a piece of plywood and set it atop 4 furniture movers as others have mentioned to balance the load at high speeds. In addition I bought the uncapping tank from MannLake and 2 buckets with honey gates. Super satisfied with my setup. Good luck.

·
Registered
843 Posts
You got a great deal on that extractor! It is a great machine. All the electronics for that machine are easy to get as they were sourced from Grainger.
Feel free to reach out direct to me.

·
Registered
711 Posts
3rd year- just bought and used my extractor Vivo V400E 4/8 frame $369. US. 5 production hives plus 1 (2 queen) resource hive. As odd as it sounds I wanted one that is lighter weight to be sure I can pick it up and move it. Now that I have extracted I find that very valuable. Also- bolted it to a piece of plywood and set it atop 4 furniture movers as others have mentioned to balance the load at high speeds. In addition I bought the uncapping tank from MannLake and 2 buckets with honey gates. Super satisfied with my setup. Good luck.
My son bought me this one for my birthday last year, love it. Vivo's customer service is very good also. I had left it outside to clean it and had to run an errand unexpectedly. Unfortunately we had a sudden thunderstorm and the motor got drenched. I dried it the best I could but it didn't work after sitting over the winter. I explained to them that I didn't expect this to be a warranty repair and asked if I could purchase just the electronics. They shipped me a new motor assembly for just $45!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Jonsi "motor got drenched" - just an FYI - we washed electronic / digital components with distilled water all the time. I had a bunch of electronic equipment submerged in a storm / seawater during a test. Washed them in a dishwasher ( plain water) and used the cook's oven to dry them - it worked for 95% of the equipment. Only a magnetic recorder did not work. We finished the test. So a little rain should not have hurt it, my opinion.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Jonsi "motor got drenched" - just an FYI - we washed electronic / digital components with distilled water all the time. I had a bunch of electronic equipment submerged in a storm / seawater during a test. Washed them in a dishwasher ( plain water) and used the cook's oven to dry them - it worked for 95% of the equipment. Only a magnetic recorder did not work. We finished the test. So a little rain should not have hurt it, my opinion.
It seemed like the drive motor seized up. Perhaps there was some residual water or condensation that sat in the unit all winter and lead to corrosion. I can't explain it. I did keep the unit for spare parts if I ever need them. However, I do make sure that I detach the drive unit before I clean it now.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
i have 55 colonies currently and my maxant 3100p is definitely the bottleneck when extracting. Seriously thinking about adding a second 20F extractor in the next year or so.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts