Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to make a Layen hive, the insulated one with plywood on inside, insulation and plywood on outside.
I know nothing about plywood... grades, types etc.
I scored some FREE plywood (always the best kind) and need to know what it is. Are they all good
I have a few pics to show the face and thickness.

Here are some crate sides I got for free too. There is thicker wood planks bordering the plywood on the crates.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
free wood is the best wood.
I would use the crate sides as is for the Layens hive sides.
looks like 1.5 inch material, glue in some 1.5 inch foam , and add another layer of ply and you are there.
figure what you need let the rest be below the floor, for a drawer or something..

if it is too long put in a divider and an entrance on each end Viola a double or triple, Layens hive.

Get a good exterior paint and give it a few coats.

GG

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
I know nothing about plywood... grades, types etc.
I scored some FREE plywood (always the best kind) and need to know what it is. Are they all good
I have a few pics to show the face and thickness.
"Free wood" is, well, "free", but that does not mean it is well suited for the specific purpose you have in mind. :)

If there is no "grade stamp" on the plywood then you really can not count on what you have. Examples:

Almost every beekeeping application for 'plywood' involves extended outside/exterior exposure, but few plywoods are really suitable for that.

'Marine' plywood is well suited for outdoor exposure, but is expensive.

A 'possible' affordable alternative is 'Advantech' (typically sold as subflooring), manufactured as resembling OSB, but with additional resins incorporated into the panel. Advantech is a branded product and claims that substitute products are equivalent are likely wrong.

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GG The angle on the last pic is odd, those are about 4' x 4' but I could definitely use the cut offs for sides. I too was thinking double Layens.

RS, thank you. I have OSB cut offs that I use as a extra top over hang on the Langs I have to help with rain/snow. And made a cover out of one and covered with metal. I don't like how when I got humidity inside the cover that it started to mold. I don't want to use that for the hive though, maybe for the very bottom I could since there is insulation between that and the hive. hmmmm there are plenty of home building around that I can score some more.

I need to learn, other then stamps because not all have stamps on them, the types of plywood there is. I believe that the crate wood is 1/2 inch but I have not measured the others.
Today I am picking up a used Router, router table and dovetail jig, all craftsman. Someday I want to do real woodworking :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would say #3 from the left looks like 3/4" D3 birch plywood which would be interior grade, if used outside it will probably delaminate within a few months. The other sheets look like exterior grade to me.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
Tigger, I also though that some of the wood looked like it was birch faced. The sheets with open knots and gaps in the edges is D grade crap. Ok to use as an underlayment, but not to build with. Some of the 3/4" sheets appear to be seven ply. This will be more dimensionally stable than the same thickness in a five ply. Free plywood is good to practice with and anything you build should last a few years with a good paint job. But once you figure it all out, it is not worth the time and effort to build boxes that won't last for a decade or more. The only plywood I use is 3/8" thickness for inner covers and the roof of my telesoping tops on my Lange hives.

Don't be afraid to grab some of the cutoffs from your neighbor's siding job for exterior hive coverings on the Layens you are building.

Reactions: Tigger19687

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Crates sides are usually interior plywood not fit for hive construction. Even painted they de-laminate quickly.

GG The angle on the last pic is odd, those are about 4' x 4' but I could definitely use the cut offs for sides. I too was thinking double Layens.

RS, thank you. I have OSB cut offs that I use as a extra top over hang on the Langs I have to help with rain/snow. And made a cover out of one and covered with metal. I don't like how when I got humidity inside the cover that it started to mold. I don't want to use that for the hive though, maybe for the very bottom I could since there is insulation between that and the hive. hmmmm there are plenty of home building around that I can score some more.

I need to learn, other then stamps because not all have stamps on them, the types of plywood there is. I believe that the crate wood is 1/2 inch but I have not measured the others.
Today I am picking up a used Router, router table and dovetail jig, all craftsman. Someday I want to do real woodworking :)

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crates sides are usually interior plywood not fit for hive construction. Even painted they de-laminate quickly.
Good to know, I can use them for the interior and find/get exterior plywood for the outer section

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
Or you can use them under a roof somewhere.

well painted out of the rain they will last, until you can get some other materials.

Maybe put the Ply you have toward the interior and buy some 1/2 green ply for the outside, still 1/2 free.

or use it for shelves too hold bee stuff.

GG

·
Registered
Burlington, MA. Langs
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or you can use them under a roof somewhere.

well painted out of the rain they will last, until you can get some other materials.

Maybe put the Ply you have toward the interior and buy some 1/2 green ply for the outside, still 1/2 free.

or use it for shelves too hold bee stuff.

GG
Do you think I could use that Zip OSB outer sheeting ? Although it is heavy stuff
Not sure of you can paint that....

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Do you think I could use that Zip OSB outer sheeting ? Although it is heavy stuff
Not sure of you can paint that....
Huber's Zip System is more or less a combination of OSB with 'housewrap' laminated to it. When installed on a structure, the seams are taped as panel installation progresses, and this eliminates the otherwise extra step of going back and applying housewrap to the structure.

IMO, Zip System is not a good choice for your application. A better choice is Huber's Advantech. And yes, Advantech can be painted, note they advise using an oil-based primer. See: https://www.huberwood.com/uploads/d...oring-Technical-Tip-Subflooring-AdvanTech.pdf

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,882 Posts
I paint my Advantech stuff with Zinsser Cover Stain oil based primer followed by two latex top coats. Holds up well. Be sure to paint the edges on the tip and bottom too or you will eventually have problems.

Reactions: Tigger19687
1 - 12 of 12 Posts