Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm a new bees keeper, I got my first package on march 25th. I've been lurking for sometime and reading, and looking at pictures, reading books, youtube, etc, but I'm still unsure. My bees have been filling out their frames like crazy, let me back up.

I have an 8 frame Langstroth hive, and everything I've read is that before you put on your second deep (or medium), you live by the 70 rule, or 70% of the frames being covered before you add. I still have 3 frames that have not comb built out on them. Three of my four of my frames are completely built out on both sides, one frame is beautiful covered brood comb, and the the others is all eggs and larva, and I can see where I've had a lot of hating going on, my bee population is exploding, and one of my frames is partially built out, and it looks like it has a lot of drone comb. This brings me to 60 something percent.

Everyone accuses me of 'over thinking' everything, and if you're familiar with the military, everyone always said that I "nuke" everything out. I would love to suggest that they're all wrong, but when you're the only person that doesn't see things that way, perhaps some introspection is necessary, so yeah, I over think and nuke everything out. My mentor, who is social distancing lives by the 80% rule, and swears by it, would recommend that I wait.

The middle frames are completely built out, and even have droop bottom comb, which I've read I should remove, and nectar filled burr comb, which is bulbous, which I've also removed. (is that a good idea?) Also, is nectar filled comb supposed to be more bulbous?

Getting back to my original question, I'm afraid my bees are about to bail. I have included some pictures, and would appreciate any experienced advice anyone can give. Are these supercedure cells, and if so, now what?

View attachment 55089 View attachment 55091

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So, I'm a new bees keeper, I got my first package on march 25th. I've been lurking for sometime and reading, and looking at pictures, reading books, youtube, etc, but I'm still unsure. My bees have been filling out their frames like crazy, let me back up.

I have an 8 frame Langstroth hive, and everything I've read is that before you put on your second deep (or medium), you live by the 70 rule, or 70% of the frames being covered before you add. I still have 3 frames that have not comb built out on them. Three of my four of my frames are completely built out on both sides, one frame is beautiful covered brood comb, and the the others is all eggs and larva, and I can see where I've had a lot of hating going on, my bee population is exploding, and one of my frames is partially built out, and it looks like it has a lot of drone comb. This brings me to 60 something percent.

Everyone accuses me of 'over thinking' everything, and if you're familiar with the military, everyone always said that I "nuke" everything out. I would love to suggest that they're all wrong, but when you're the only person that doesn't see things that way, perhaps some introspection is necessary, so yeah, I over think and nuke everything out. My mentor, who is social distancing lives by the 80% rule, and swears by it, would recommend that I wait.

The middle frames are completely built out, and even have droop bottom comb, which I've read I should remove, and nectar filled burr comb, which is bulbous, which I've also removed. (is that a good idea?) Also, is nectar filled comb supposed to be more bulbous?

Getting back to my original question, I'm afraid my bees are about to bail. I have included some pictures, and would appreciate any experienced advice anyone can give. Are these supercedure cells, and if so, now what?

posting without attachments to see if that is the posting failure is

pictures will follow if this post goes through

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please bear with me as I learn the limitations and regulations of this forum

bees2.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's reassuring, thank you. It's just the location and the mottled look of the caps that have me freaked out.

Speaking of drones, is it common for almost whole side of a frame of new packaged hive to be drone brood? I have one frame where all the new comb is built up off the backing and is all drone brood, just like the pictures, videos and books, but instead of mottled looking, it's clean domes.

I'm new, and tend to over think things. I'd rather ask stupid questions and look like I'm over reacting, than fail

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You are not asking stupid questions and in fact are asking the right questions, but at the wrong time. In other words, you know some things you should be looking for. Yes, those are just drone cells. Queen cells look like a peanut and are much larger, and are USUALLY found at the bottom of the frames. There are usually many of them. Supercedure cells are USUALLY found in the field of the frame. When they do not have eggs or larvae in them they are called queen cups. When a hive is "about to bail" they make swarm cells. Supercedure cells and supercedure is when they stay put but the queen gets the ax.
Its good you have a mentor and we all have different ways or rules. I am a little unclear about how many frames are drawn out but I am guessing that the ones on the outside of the box are not drawn out. This is common and sometimes hives just won't draw them out. You could put them between drawn out combs on the edge of the broodnest, but not in it. You are right to be concerned about swarming if they get too crowded so be ready to put another box on soon. If your mentor is an experienced, successful beekeeper, go with their advice. J

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I think you should do a search on frames of partial foundation. Your bees are crying for opportunity to lay some drone. As you see, they will find a way that you will not appreciate. A frame with half a sheet of foundation would do the trick. At 60% drawn and occupied I would not be excited yet but your flows come on faster than mine.

If for some reason you will have to be away and get the next box on I would consider putting it under the existing one. Keep the brood up at the top where it is warm instead of lots of empty space above to heat. That is probably a more cold weather move.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Are you talking about those dome-like cells? Looks like drone comb to me and nothing to be worried out. supercedure cells are usually towards the middle of the frame. I would be more worried about swarm cells, which form on the bottom of the frames. But if you just installed a package I would be inclined to think you shouldn't need to worry too much about swarming unless you really have them restricted to one deep or something.

·
Super Moderator
11,146 Posts
Please bear with me as I learn the limitations and regulations of this forum
You are doing fine.

But please only create one thread for a given issue. In this case, for some reason, the forum software decided to 'moderate' your thread. After some delay, I saw & approved your thread and moved it to the BK101 forum, but by then you had created more threads. I do understand why you did that as your thread was not visible.

I did not create the 'moderation' rules, don't know precisely what they are, and have no access to modify them anyway, but its likely that issue will go away as you post more. If you (or other members) have further similar issues please PM a moderator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts