Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how many have actually thought of this, in fact, I am sure many have already. But for those of you have not. I am too new at beekeeping to really contribute and so many people have been so helpful to me that I just wanted to throw this out there in case there is someone out there who has not thought of this. http://www.amazon.com/King-Kooker-1266-Portable-29-Quart/dp/B004CMM90Q/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1397345904&sr=8-4&keywords=turkey+fryer It has been working out great for me. The wife is pleased too ( no more spilled sugar or syrup on the kitchen floor) You probably will want to ladle the first few quarts out as it is pretty cumbersome to pour from the pot to your dispenser.

todd

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps my wife is right. Im a mess lol. When I get done mixing sugar, the counters are sticky, the sink, the floor etc...

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I've even used cold water from the garden hose. I stir it several times that afternoon, and wait to feed it until the next day, after another good stir. Doing it this way the sugar is all dissolved the next day and I can use then. This is when I make 1:1 syrup, thicker syrup may not work as well this way.

But, that does look like a good setup if you want to get it. Warm or hot water does speed up the process a lot. Oh.... I see you have already got it and started using it, good deal, looks like a great setup and of course it keeps the wife happy too!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Have you used it? Did you find the auto timer shut off a PIA?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I bought one for brewing beer a little higher btus with a metal 5 gallon bucket.18 lb of sugar / water. Make up about 4 gallons of Surup.
David

·
Registered
133 Posts
I installed an on demand propane water heater with a ball valve plumbed to a water hose in my garage. I'm dumping 50 lbs sacks of sugar into 55 gallon drums and topping with super hot water. Use a cordless drill and paddle bit to mix in. I installed a tank drain and gate valve in the 55s. It makes filling 1/2 gallon jars quick. I built a bases for the 55s on pallets and lift them into the truck. Works like a charm and no mess in the kitchen. ;)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Clickbangboom I love it. now only if I had a fork lift and a pickup. Working on both. Of courses I need a bigger shop. Working on that to.
David

·
Registered
361 Posts
I too use a turkey fryer. Its very fast. You may want to siphon out the syrup while its hot. This is what I do and I don't spill a drop. I can fill up 6 or 8 milk jugs in a matter of minutes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts