Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a mistake and added honey super before second brood box. Brood box is full and two weeks ago they swarmed. So I have a mostly full super and mostly full brood box. I need to add a second brood box. How do I get the bees out if the super and what do I do with the honey super until get the work five in the second brood box? I’m a newbie in Iowa.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Walrus:

Need some more information.

1. What size box is your brood box? Deep? Medium? Other?
2. What size box is your honey super?
3. Did you place a queen excluder between your brood box and honey super?
4. Do you plan on harvesting honey this year? If so, when?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need some more information.
1. What size box is your brood box? DEEPDeep? Medium? Other? 2. What size box is your honey super? 3. Did you place a queen excluder between Need some more information.
1. What size box is your brood box? Deep? Medium? Other?
2. What size box is your honey super? MEDIUM
3. Did you place a queen excluder between your brood box and honey super? NO

4. Do you plan on harvesting honey this year? If so, when? your brood box and honey super? PROBABLY NOT first year hive

4. Do you plan on harvesting honey this year? If so, when?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deep brood box
Medium super
No excluder
I would love to harvest this year but assume I won’t

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I don't see where you have messed up anything. You may have intended to have a Deep + Deep broodnest, but you have a Deep + Medium broodnest instead. I will let some Iowa or Iowa-ish beekeepers chime in on whether that will be adequate food stores, assuming it they are full, for an Iowa winter.

If you are still in a nectar flow and you think your bees can still build out more frames, add your other brood box (assuming it is a Deep) on top of your Medium and see what they will do. If they build it out and fill it up, great. Two deeps and a medium sounds like a good winter configuration for Iowa, although I would want a local to confirm that.

If you are concerned that the two brood boxes should be together (Deep+Deep+Medium instead of Deep+Medium+Deep) -- don't be. Bees will not care.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My super is full of honey though. I posted this on a beekeeping Facebook forum last night and was told I should remove the super and store it and add a deep brood box and put the super back on once they filled the second brood box. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
What you were advised on Facebook makes sense to me. As I understand it, you want to get a second deep drawn and filled with honey or sugar syrup before winter. Remove the super and put the new deep on. Shake the bees from the super into the deeps frame by frame. Close up hive. You probably won't get all the bees off every frame. Move the super of honey away from the hives and shake the remaining bees out. If they don't shake off, blow on them. Might want to get a triangle board for next year. J

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,561 Posts
My super is full of honey though. I posted this on a beekeeping Facebook forum last night and was told I should remove the super and store it and add a deep brood box and put the super back on once they filled the second brood box. Does that make sense?
no

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,561 Posts
It's July 15th. If I wanted two deeps, I'd put the new brood box below the old brood box and move the two outermost drawn frames from the old box to the middle of the new box. Leave the super on. Let the bees sort the rest out and try to leave them alone while they do so.
+ 1
add some space under leave the super on top, a couple frames moved down to the new box, centered makes good sense.
Depending on your harvest method and the frames used , one may be able to take frame 1 and 10 from the super in the fall for a taste.

GG

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Walrus: You do not have a problem to fix. If they swarmed once two weeks ago, they are not likely to swarm again.

You describe a deep box with brood and a medium box with honey on top of it. You just described 90% of my colonies. If you had put the deep box on instead of the medium box, they would have just filled the deep with honey. Conversely, if they had wanted/needed to expand their brood nest, they would have expanded it into the medium box. The only thing you might be guilty of is not already having a third box on this hive.

Throw another box on top - deep or medium. Let them build it out if they will. If the bees want to expand their broodnest, they will. Otherwise, they will eat their way up through the top boxes throughout the winter months.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Walrus,as you see beekeepers all have their own way of doing things. None are necessarily wrong.
My advice assumes that you need to build out a second deep before winter. I am also assuming you need to overwinter with two deeps and a medium.
Because the medium is filled and because they swarmed, it is a good idea to remove the super. They build up faster and can more easily defend a smaller space. I would add the new deep on top of the existing deep. Ask locals what works better in your area, but it is the top for me. For one thing, we do get chilly nights even when its hot as heck during the day.
Yes, it is good practice to move a frame of brood up or down to encourage them to draw nearby combs. I would feed sugar water since they have already swarmed and back off once frames are nearly drawn.
This is a good time for you to treat for mites. Oav would be effective before brood is capped.
My goal would be to have the 2 deeps filled with brood and stores by the end of the summer. If you have a good fall flow, put a new super on and see if they will draw some combs and make you some honey. Late fall, take that for yourself and replace with the stored super for winter. You then have a treated colony with 2 deeps and a medium full of stores and maybe some honey for yourself and drawn comb for next year. J

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Walrus,as you see beekeepers all have their own way of doing things. I based mine on the assumption you need two deeps and a medium for overwintering. Since your hive recently swarmed, it will take them a while to get that second deep drawn out. In my limited experience, the deep directly above them with a frame or two of brood brought up will do this the fastest.
I would store the super full of honey add the deep above and consider feeding sugar water. A smaller hive will be easier to defend without the super and warmer for brood which is important if you have chilly nights with limited bee coverage. Once the frames are drawn and mostly filled with brood and stores, add a new super if there is a fall flow. Hopefully they can draw some more frames and maybe make you a little honey.
At the end of the season, add the full super of honey to the hive and you are all set for winter. Btw, this is a good time to treat especially with OAV. J

1 - 16 of 16 Posts