Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone heard of a no- cook candy recipe that calls for mineral salt , the recipe states you can use small salt blocks for rabbits and crush it up real fine , I had this recipe and now I can't find it and its not coming up in any searchs , thanks .

I found it , but its a grease patty recipe here it is if anyone can use it .http://www.honeybeesuite.com/tag/grease-patties/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,987 Posts
I don't see salt as all that necessary myself. I have never added salt to any recipe for bees although I doubt it harms them. Non heat sugar bricks are easily made by adding one pint of water to 10 pounds of white granulated sugar and mixing thoroughly. Anything else you care to emulsify into the water could be added too I am sure. The sugar can be formed up in any way you wish and dries in days in my unheated garage. I seldom dry them but make them up previous to going out to feed and leaving the pressed sugar sludge in a paper Dixie soup bowl that I buy inexpensively. I just carefully invert them over the cluster in my feed rims. Extremely easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to go with candy boards again next year or use more of a sugar brick method on top of the frames .Two things come up , the candy board seems to be a good way to absorb moisture along with the quilt box and the other factor is if I go with a sugar brick recipe like Lauri's do I have to be concerned about the ingredients as my cold temps don't allow for cleansing flights like you get in warmer climates , she has alot more stuff packed into them than a normal sugar candy recipe , any thoughts .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,540 Posts
I have been using Lauri's sugar brick recipe up here in northern NY this winter and my girls simply adore them. It has no protein component to it, only apple cider vinegar, sugar, citric acid, electrolites (tiny quantity, probably immaterial, though the stuff is mostly sodium).

I use QBs as well, above the feeding rim where the sugar bricks are. I especially liked the bricks this winter because I could add more by just lifting the front of the QB a few inches and shooing the bees aside to make room for another chunk. It didn't require exposing the whole surface of the bars.

Since it has no protein content, I doubt it increases the need to make cleansing flights. The cold weather up here kept my girls inside pretty much continuously from Dec. 4th through to last Tuesday, with no ill effects.

On the Lauri's thread about her cakes is a scaled-down version of her recipe that I worked out, if you wanted to make less than her full 25 pounds of sugar batch. (Don't know how many hives you've got; I've got only three.)

Enj.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info enjambres , did you use the electroytes or pro health in the batch you made . Also could this mixture be made into a candy board .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,540 Posts
Yes, I used a tiny amount of electrolytes (a product intended for large animals, and according to its package, it's largely sodium). I didn't use any of the commercial bee-food products because I wanted to steer clear of anything that might increase the need for cleansing flights in this bitter cold winter. (Particularly so early on because I had recently moved the hives and I didn't really want them to go out for as long as possible. I was hoping for a few weeks of cold to encourage them to forget about their old stand - and we all got a few months of cold weather instead. The bees did pretty much reorient successfully when they finally went back out after three months.)

I'm not sure if the bricks could be made in a candy board mostly because the bricks are dehydrated either in a proper dehydrator, or in an oven at low temps with door cracked open. (I haven't personally tried the oven method as I have an old countertop convection oven/dehydrator that I'm using for this.) The weak link in the plan would be the candy board itself, I think. After I've mixed the stuff up (which I do a in 5-gallon pail, with my bare hands) I scoop it into those lightweight aluminum foil trays that are sold in the grocery store for cake pans or brownies. They are then dehydrated for 6 to 8 hours, until they are quite firm. I just leave them in the pans until I install them in the hives. Next year I will buy some heavy-duty quarter sheets or brownie pans instead of using the flimsy foil ones, which can create cracking problems if you have to move them before they are fully dry.

I just set the bricks on the top bars within a shallow shim (@2" high) that also has my upper entrance hole. Above the shim is the quilt box - the bees sometimes fill nearly the whole volume of this space over, under, and many layers upon the brick chunks. When you look into the entrance hole, all you can see is solid BEES! In fact that's how I know it's time to restock, when a flashlight shining in reveals empty space.

Lauri's recipe and method of making them are brilliant, IMO. And my bugs think they are fantastic.

Enj.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm wondering if my candy boards could have helped adsorb moisture in my hives the quilt box's never really got damp , I never had to change the chips .
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top