Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel so blessed this year, I live in a geographical area that is great for bees. It's sort of in the country but close to houses and flowers, there are many food sources close to my hives, I've ridden my motorcycle on all the roads within 5 miles of my house, here is what I've observed this year.
2. 5 acre fields with pumpkin plants.
Many large vegetable gardens, some for personal use, others the owners have vegetable stands.
several large fields where there is plenty of white clover,( there mowed and the blooms come right back!
Corn fields, both sweet and field corn.
Soy beans, but most of those are self pollinating.
1 sunflower field
Several fields with Hay, included is red clover, which is kind of iffy!
And of course several large fields with wild flowers.
Here in Indiana it's been a cool summer, July is the coolest in history.
The rain has been coming at the right time all season long.
As of today my bees are bringing in buckets of pollen, almost like fall or the spring, don't know about the nectar.
The great weather is going to continue for the next two weeks here in Central Indiana, High temperature today is 79.
This is my forth season being a beek, never experienced this type of weather, I made several mistakes early this summer and 3 hives swarmed, but are all back to normal, I'm inspecting on a regular basis now, instead of being honey bound.
Another thing I found out with swarming, is they take lots of the honey before leaving, found that out the hard way too!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey,
I'm from vevay indiana, not so far from you, I remember canoeing in bronsville, and they use to have
a great mid-week flea market on tuesday or wednesday's can't remember.
Driving around is how I find out what my bees are working too.
All the best

·
Registered
128 Posts
Up here in TH, the same weather. Everything is blooming longer. Right now appears to be a dearth, but the girls are still flying A LOT! Plenty of clover still around. Maybe this will run right in to goldenrod. 2nd year, my first honey ~50#'s, two hives and a new package this year. All hives swarmed, including the package twice!

·
Registered
83 Posts
2nd year, my first honey ~50#'s, two hives and a new package this year. All hives swarmed, including the package twice![/QUOTE]

Maybe I need to move some of my swarm traps.:rolleyes: Kidding aside we are having a good year. Unfortunately, two of my hives swarmed as well.:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts