Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well sad day for me, I got a swarm call today and I had little issues collecting them. It was about 23 degrees today and I placed 2 nucs in the back of the truck and drove home during rush hour traffic taking about 1.5 hrs.

I got to the yard and noticed liquid leaking from the box. I started getting worried as I thought this was the box that the queen was in. Opened things up and it wasn't good. I had 3 lbs of wet honey soaked bees. The other box was ok, so I spread the girls out over the ground and some we still moving and started to fly.

Looks like I have about 1.5 -2 lbs of bees but I am not sure if the queen had actually died as they were entering the box.

The one thing i did different was there was a 4" comb and I put it in the box and it must of melted and soaked the girls.:doh:

Im depressed :cry:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm assuming that 23 degrees is Celsius. Therefore we are talking about 73 degrees Farenheidt. With that temperature I think the bees will be alright as long as they can clean up before the temperatures drop over night.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm assuming that 23 degrees is Celsius. Therefore we are talking about 73 degrees Farenheidt. With that temperature I think the bees will be alright as long as they can clean up before the temperatures drop over night.
I hope so, I am going to be up at the yard Tues after work... here hoping!

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
749 Posts
Now you know the reason you don't put honey into a cut out hive. I always toss all of the honey comb into five gallon buckets to take them home and then give them back to the bees.

Sorry things went bad for you, and hope they make it.

G3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts