Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just was out on the porch and was planning on re-racking some medium drawn/extracted comb frames stored in large "Tupperware" type storage bins, into the empty supers this morning. I had stored the comb outside since a late fall extraction-all first year white comb that I had saved to get a jump on this Spring. I have six of these boxes with each one having 20-25 frames in them. Well, I thought they were all sealed well but apparently, one leaked and was half filled with rain water. I immediately drained them out and even on a 20 degree day (late cold snap) they smelt like something fermented in there. For now, I'm going to re-stack them in the supers and let them drain out, maybe freeze and dry up. There appears for now there's no damage to the combs but did I just waste 20 or so frames of good comb? Any advice? I'd like to save the comb as I really don't being new, have any big supply.

·
Registered
37 Posts
New comb is a valuable resource. Most likely something did ferment--however it is unlikely that all is lost. When you get a little warmer weather, it might be worth rinsing the wet ones with fresh water. Turning upside down and shaking vigorously removes most of the excess water. Other folks may have better ideas.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well beeswax is waterproof...

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Just make sure you get the water well shaken out. If you freeze frames with cells full of pure water the ice expansion can crumble the comb.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, today was cold, upper 20's low 30's F low 30%'s humidity, so I set them out on 2 x 4's on saw horses, slowly melted any icey areas, shock them out and then re-racked them in a couple of medium supers, took them down to my basement and am letting them warn up. They don't look much worse for the wear and I'm hoping that the wood doesn't warp. Well, I can chime in on the next "Dumbest beekeeping thing I did" thread, just earning my stripes.

Winter is for the birds!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts