Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.inspectnext.com/

I was recently laid off, so tried to merge a few of my hobbies and have made the site above to assist beekeepers in deciding the best times for inspections.

It allows you to choose your own Optimal/Viable inspection conditions (gear in top right), as well as trying to tell you the best time slots for both Optimal, Viable and inadvisable condtions.

I hope this could be of some use to you, and if you have any criticisms or comments I would be keen to hear them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I gave it a try. I think there are some bugs that need worked out. I am near Canton OH, which I clicked in the search bar. It looks like it may be pulling weather info from a different Canton because it shows 70s-80s for tomorrow when we are going to be in the 40s with rain and snow. I made sure to click Canton, OH when it popped up. Another thing that I noticed was a rating of "too cold" for a day marked to be 36-56F, and an "optimal" rating for a day with temps listed at 34-51F. One more thing I noticed was hitting the back button takes me to a landing page that just has Home and Contact options. It does not take me back to the area selection screen. I could see this being a neat tool once the kinks are ironed out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I gave it a try. I think there are some bugs that need worked out. I am near Canton OH, which I clicked in the search bar. It looks like it may be pulling weather info from a different Canton because it shows 70s-80s for tomorrow when we are going to be in the 40s with rain and snow. I made sure to click Canton, OH when it popped up. Another thing that I noticed was a rating of "too cold" for a day marked to be 36-56F, and an "optimal" rating for a day with temps listed at 34-51F. One more thing I noticed was hitting the back button takes me to a landing page that just has Home and Contact options. It does not take me back to the area selection screen. I could see this being a neat tool once the kinks are ironed out.
Thanks Johnnymms, I will look into that, it is hard as this seems to be an error with the weather data returning data for a different Canton USA.

I really appreciate the feedback though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello again Johnnymms,

Just thought i'd let you know I have gone in and fixed most of those issues for you. Now the data is retrieved with USA States in mind, so Canton OH works now (confirmed against google weather), I have also fixed the bug making the back button not work. I wasn't able to replicate the 'too cold' error, though I suspect it was bad data cached, so I have removed that.

If you notice anything else feel free to let me know, thanks a lot of the feedback!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Welcome to Beesource, inspectnext.

Neat website- thank you for sharing.

While it is a minor thing, we US-based folks still doggedly-adhere to our IP units- is it possible to adjust the forecasted rainfall totals to be expressed in inches?

It looks like you've got the makings of a helpful tool for newer beekeepers.

Russ

·
Registered
398 Posts
Nice, I got it bookmarked. I typically just look at the forecast on my phone to decide which days I'll get into hives, but I think new beekeepers especially could use your site for guidance as they learn about the ins-and-outs of inspections. I do agree with Litsinger about 'Mericans using inches rather than mm for rainfall. It's not that we've never heard of a millimeter, but many of us have a hard time envisioning a "7mm per 3 hrs" rainfall.

By the way, I can relate to your effort to try and simplify a beekeeping task by creating an online tool. I know it requires your time, effort, and money, so good on you for using your misfortune as an opportunity to provide a service to others.

·
Registered
29 Posts
https://www.inspectnext.com/

I was recently laid off, so tried to merge a few of my hobbies and have made the site above to assist beekeepers in deciding the best times for inspections.

It allows you to choose your own Optimal/Viable inspection conditions (gear in top right), as well as trying to tell you the best time slots for both Optimal, Viable and inadvisable condtions.

I hope this could be of some use to you, and if you have any criticisms or comments I would be keen to hear them.
Thank you for your effort on this. I will be using it as a first year beekeep.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to Beesource, inspectnext.

Neat website- thank you for sharing.

While it is a minor thing, we US-based folks still doggedly-adhere to our IP units- is it possible to adjust the forecasted rainfall totals to be expressed in inches?

It looks like you've got the makings of a helpful tool for newer beekeepers.

Russ
Hello Litsinger and BeeArthur,

Thanks for your comments, I have changed the measurement to use Inches for rainfall instead of MM when using Imperial. Since I use metric I though mm for rain was used everywhere, thanks for correcting me.

Happy you can get some use out of this, if you, or anyone else has any feature requests or bugs they find, feel free to reply here or email me at: [email protected]

Thank you again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts