Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would the bees manage if i place these Langstroth frames inside Dadant blatt boxes and then slowly change to Dadant blatt frames, wouldn’t the gap between the frames and the entrance be too much?
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
The bees will manage OK, but there is a good chance that they could hang 'free range' comb from the bottom of those Lang frames. Odds are that comb would not follow the frame spacing and would end up being unmanageable and a mess.

You could make a wooden block cut to size to fill the space under the shorter frames. Leave "bee space" between the bottom of the Lang frames and the wooden block.

And for those wondering about "Blatt" frames and boxes, this page has some dimensions:

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
How would the bees manage if i place these Langstroth frames inside Dadant blatt boxes and then slowly change to Dadant blatt frames, wouldn’t the gap between the frames and the entrance be too much?
Thank you!
Many beeple running the Dadants run 3-4 inch space under the frames.
This often means the bees build down some additional comb (usually drone) - and that really is a non-issue.

You will do the same setup and that should not be a big issue either.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
You could make a wooden block cut to size to fill the space under the shorter frames. Leave "bee space" between the bottom of the Lang frames and the wooden block.
In practice I find that direct contact works without a problem, and makes attachment so much easier. All that results are a couple of lines of propolis on top of the block.

I make mine from one inch (25mm) wood and attach 'em with cable ties. I must have about a hundred deployed at any one time. Painting 'em is of course optional, unless you're obsessional (like Yours Truly). :)
LJ

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
BTW, you could find Lang nucs on medium frames (there are those too - expect 8-frame nucs).
You simply strap two medium frames together (*), thus, making a single Dadant frame and drop this thing into your equipment as-is.
8-frame Lang nuc will convert into 4-frame Dadant.

* (Will need to clip ears off the lower frame )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW, you could find Lang nucs on medium frames (there are those too - expect 8-frame nucs).
You simply strap two medium frames together (*), thus, making a single Dadant frame and drop this thing into your equipment as-is.
8-frame Lang nuc will convert into 4-frame Dadant.

* (Will need to clip ears off the lower frame )
Thank you, much appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts