Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have two hives in my backyard and two in big field where I work. Yesterday, it was about 45 degrees. The hives at work had alot of activity. The hives at home did not. The home hives just do not get enough sunlight because of all the trees, etc. I have decided to move the hives out to the field at work.

I have read all the dos and don'ts on this forum about moving hives. Great stuff btw...

However, I want to make sure this is the right time of year to move. The temps are about 45 every day. Can I move them now or wait till it gets warmer?

THanks

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
If it's only a few hundred yards, I would just wait for a day when it's a warm night predicted (in case of stragglers so they don't die overnight away from the hive) and move them. Put a branch or something in front of the entrance to force them to reorient when they fly out. This is the whole secret to moving less than 2 miles. I've moved them hundreds of yards in one shot, more times than I can count with no problems.

If the new location is a mile or so, then I'd probably go for the 2 mile move. And then back.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
zeebee:

I wouldnt move them yet. I have found the same problem. My hive in the city only gets a little sunlight but remember, that will change over the next few months as it stays lghter out. Also, just because sun does not hit the hive doesnt mean they will not be active. Today, at the time I went out to check my hive, it was 54 degrees and the sun was hitting my hive and there was not to much action but later on, it was 64 degrees or so, no sun hitting the hive but a lot of action going on. Also... 45 degrees is not that warm. I have also found that different breeds of bees will be out more than others at different tempratures.

hope this helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts