Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bee buddy was supposed to check two laying worker hives we had put queens in 4 weeks ago. He advised me last night that he had hurt his back and had not checked them.( I know,,,re queening a laying worker hive:doh: I argued, he insisted,,,stand by) So I trek over and look into the first hive. DOA,,,pound of bees left. Moved the hive bodies and dump bees on ground bout 50 feet away. For grins,,,I put a cardboard nuc on the hive stand with one empty frame. Smoked the hive bodies and moved to the second hive. Top super empty of bees and honey. No surprise. Went into the bottom box,,,,and to my surprise loaded with capped brood:applause: I couldn't believe it. Definitely not drone. Didn't look for the queen,,,,closed it up.
Back to the nuc that is collecting the other bees. I guess I could paper merge them with with a queen right hive. The question is: would it be advisable to incorporate them into a split I'm getting ready to make in the next day or two? Is there a better way to do this if it is not a bad idea. Just hate to not use the bees if I can.
Thanks as always.

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Shake them out and remove the box! The bees will find their way to other hives. If you try to combine with a queenright hive the LW bees will kill the good queen most of the time. BTW, the LW's can and will return to the hive you shake them out of, making a shakeout useless as far as getting rid of the LW's. The application of young brood, weekly, is the only effective way to deal with LW 99% of the time. I've wasted a lot of time and queens trying to deal with these boogers and, so far, giving a frame of young brood is the only successful method. :no:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fishstix
I must have gotten a 1 %. I couldn't believe it! I'll dump'm and let them divy themselves up. will the hive they LW ends up at be recognized as a LW? Will they kill her?(hopefully)

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Rick, one thing to think about is that these are old bees. Not much life left for them. So, you could combine them w/ another colony, but they aren't going to add that much to whatever you add them to.

Maybe you should just shake them on the ground in front of a hive and let them crawl in. I'll bet they won't have any trouble gaining access. Then you don't need to mess w/ the paper.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Mark,,,,,Thanks
That's what I'll do,,,put them on the ground. I have 2 hives about the same size and close together. Dump them and let nature take it's course.
Get alittle work outa them:D Nectars down\ right now with the lack of rain and time of year. Lots of pollen coming from the crepe myrtle and plantain looks like. Big soy bean field a little over a mile from the house. Hopin it is the good kind for bees.

rick SoMd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts