Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a TBH and harvested several bars of honey by cutting the comb into a stock part. Of course, a lot of bees got caught in the pot,because I've never been successful getting all the bees off the comb. I had hoped that in the early evening I could open the pot and any bees not stuck in place would make their way back to the hive. Not having a lot of luck. I built a one-way bee screen, but I"m not sure it's working. If I bring the pot into the house and start manipulating the comb, I could get a house full of bees. If I leave the lid off outside, I'll attract more bees and hornets.

looking for suggested approaches. not quite ready to put the pot in the oven and heat gently. - Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
hmm....not sure how to help your current predicament. But, when I take from my top bar, I have a 5-gallon bucket and lid handy. Get the bees all off of the comb (use a brush, a little smoke, etc) then quickly cut the comb from the bar letting it fall into the bucket. Immediately put the lid on while you start to mess with the next bar. For right now I think you'll have to go through and gently turn comb over, looking for bees....do this out side, putting them on the ground. They are amazing at getting cleaned up after a honey soaking....just have to pick through and remove them gently. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
How many bees do you think you have in the pot? The problem I would imagine now is that everything is sticky. If not too sticky a bee brush could be used. Go out on your porch or patio. Get another pot with a lid, take a piece of comb out and remove bees from it either by flicking them with the brush (or a feather) out into your yard. If they're sticky bees you might need to use a large tablespoon or something to "ladle" them out. When you have that piece of comb clean quickly drop it into the new pot and cover. Rinse...repeat.

I would suggest stepping back and re-examining your harvesting technique before harvesting more honey. :)

Best wishes,
Ed

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem is, when you pop the lid, all the bees wandering in the area are attracted to the honey so I am not getting anywhere!

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
when I harvest a bar, I cut it off onto a plate at the hive and then start walking around the other side of the house. Majority of the bees at the hive go for the cut bar as it is returned to the hive so I am only left with a few on the actual comb. (stand around too long and it attracts more) But most of the bees I can gently flick off onto the shrubs on my way around the house. A couple of really sticky bees (on the underside) have to be picked out of the goo with a spoon and set on the back steps before I go in.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have had good luck picking the bees out of the mess with tweezers, the ones still kicking can be dumped on top of a hive and will more than likely make it. Be careful when you are picking over the comb. Three weeks ago I missed a live one that was head down in a honey filled cell. I found her with my thumb the hardway!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts