Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened up a split I had made about 17 days ago consisting of about 8 frames of various stage brood and eggs and about 3 frames of stores with another 6-7 frames of undrawn foundation. Upon todays inspection the top and bottom brood chambers were about full of uncapped honey and pollen with little drawn out. The hive as another 3 or 4 frames that are undrawn but I am worried that they can fill them in if given the time. I spotted a queen cell on one of the frames and left the hive then and there. I ordered a deep to go on that hive and am wondering what to do to prevent a honey binding from occurring. The deep will hopefully arrive within the week as the last one I ordered got here in 3 days. I am likely going to extract some of the honey as my area is still technically in the middle of a spring flow. Should I pull all the frames that I want to extract when putting on the new deep? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
What is the current hive configuration? You said "top and bottom brood chambers". Are these 10-frame deeps? 8-frame? 5-frame?

If I'm concerned about swarming or not having laying room I'm going to push the honey frames toward the outside by one frame space (one on each side of brood) and drop in an undrawn frame. This will buy some time as they will draw out these frames. I don't worry as much about honey bound until it's capped. Pollen bound is a different story, but even then they are pretty good at putting things in the correct place.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,204 Posts
It's common for a queenless split to go into full nectar storing mode as they have no brood to tend to.

It's not really a problem until you have a mated queen. As such, move the honey/nectar frames to the outside and up, giving them foundation or frames with open cells near the lower center. Sounds like you gave them plenty of brood so the nurse bees should be drawing out the foundation if prompted to do so.

Sorting things this way should give you enough space for when the queen hopefully mates and begins laying.

If they are still nectar bound you'll have to remove frames, but one they go into brood production should reorganize things on their own to provide laying space. They'll also start using a lot more resources.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do you have a queen or not? I didn't see that answered. Just saw that you have a queen cell.

You say "honey bound" if it's just nectar and not capped honey, you might try shaking several of them off into a bucket and feeding it back to them later and putting the drawn out combs in for the queen (if you have one) to lay in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have 2 ten frame deeps that I run with 9 frames but am trying to phase that out as it is difficult in the brood chamber. I do not have a queen cell as I was trying to make a split.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts