Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the good fortune to have a friend who removes bees, and he gave me a cutout today. Unfortunately, I don't have a spare frame of brood to entice them to stay in their new hive.

Is there a next best option to give these new bees? I did give them a frame of pollen and honey.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I don't understand. A cutout should have included all the salvagable comb, including brood and stores. Did he just give you a bunch of bees in a box? What about the queen?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, just the bees and presumably the queen. He vacuums them into the buckets. I should have called it a removal rather than cutout, it appears.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I agree with J.W. a.cutout and or a removal should have been getting comb, honey, brood ect. Out of the cavity removed from. Did he keep all the brood, and honey for himself, and not give anything to start the bees with? I generally search well for the queen in either above, or even just a swarm.
Also, your other post... you.need to find the queen or eggs, and brood when going into a hive for inspection. If no queen, you.might end up with a laying worker colony. Or at the best scenario, you got a virgin out mating flight??? Fingers crossed for ya. Good luck the in Houston!!! Rich

·
Registered
11,720 Posts
About all you can do is put a queen excluder under the box to stop the queen leaving (if there is one), and hope for the best. If there is a queen there, and you give the bees some syrup, they should have comb built and eggs in it within a few days, so you'll know.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Treat them like a new package. Lock em down for a few days and feed the snot out of them. Once some comb is made and the queen lays in it, chances are real good they will stay put. If there is no queen, you are up the proverbial creek.

Why dont you have brood? In Houston, you should be going gangbusters by now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll lock them down the best I can tonight and feed them tomorrow. There are a few frames of drawn comb in addition to the frame of pollen and honey I gave them.

I don't know why I don't have brood. They had plenty of room, so I wouldn't have expected them to take off. I checked two of my four hives. I'll hope for the best for my other two, and will check them tomorrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts