Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bigger than a grapefruit, smaller than a basketball. It would be possible to remove it. It's low and in an ornamental bush. I'm thinking that maybe I could cut the branch or branches supporting it, and drop it into a tall kitchen garbage bag. I'm worried my dogs will wander into it if I don't do something.

Anyway - I have an ultra-breeze jacket and hood and I understand that all bee suits are sting resistant - not sting proof. My question is this - is it a reasonable defense if I get attacked by a full nest of bald faced hornets? I'll be wearing jeans that will be strapped over boots.

Advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: I havea Bald Faced Hornet's nest in my front yard...

I've had small yellow jacket hives go after me with normal cotton jacket, no stings...can you just spray them or are you relocating them?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I thought I'd take the nest to the back of my acreage and then release. But I suppose that will likely kill them so perhaps spraying is the best idea.

·
Registered
55 Posts

I grew up in the country with those suckers around...the hotter it gets, especially Augustish, the meaner they'll get. They hit hard when they sting, and more than just one at a time-like 40 at a time, and sometimes for nothing more than walking past their nest at a bad time. You can bag them, I watched my dad do it when I was a kid, but I think he sprayed them first, in the evening when they were mostly all in the nest. I would recommend spraying, or wear several layers of clothes if you want to remove them alive.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts

if you've never fooled with hornets, they attack enmass and will sting right through a bee suit-each hornet multiple times. things can get ugly real quick. even spraying them can get dicey. suit up,be carefull, and be prepared.
good luck,mike
P.S. sorry for the repeat post-i'm a 1 finger typist on dial up and people get ahead of me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

If anything you guys have given me a healthy respect (okay, fear) for those guys. When I found the nest, I stood within 2 feet for a couple of minutes to identify the insect. They didn't seem to be concerned about my presence. But I'm sure will all change when I start to rock their world. I think I'm just going to suit up and spray - trying to kill them all as they emerge. Do they usually just have one entry/exit hole?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts

"...Do they usually just have one entry/exit hole..."
yes, at the bottom.
good luck,mike

·
Registered
1,692 Posts

Check out Youtube on the subject. You can get an idea of what's going to happen. I like the guy that uses the shotgun method.:D
rick

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts

Get a sprey can that shoots 20 ft and soak the nest

·
Registered
194 Posts

There are a couple of good pesticides one is Delta Dust, the other starts with a Per?:scratch: they both work well but the second one works faster.
just pump about 1 once of dust up the hole in the evening and leave them until the next day. All of the colony should be killed by then. Bee carefull, them hornets can be mean.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I have eliminated several of those nest. I wait for a rainy day, then I torch the nest using a propane torch on a 5' stick. Generally they build the nest so its out of the rain. This method gives the best kill percentage, as they are in the nest due to rain. Always start the nest on fire on the bottom around the entrance/exit hole.

Good luck.

·
Registered
314 Posts

Do wait till dusk to make sure they are all home. otherwise you will have stragglers that will be mad for a while.

·
Registered
1 Posts

It really is too bad that they are such a nuisance. They help control many other pests. When we remove their hives in our bee suits it is quite interesting. The sound of a bald faced hornet hitting your veil at full speed is quite disconcerting, at times. We hardly get stung because of their hit-and-run tactics, plus, with the hive being aerial, they mainly aim for the head and shoulders which is where we generally have great protection. Yellow jackets, on the other hand, are rather irksome. Their numbers tend to be greater, they like to sit and sting, and they typically aim low because of their subterranean hive location. I call them 'ankle-biters'. They like to work their way under my suit where it meets my boots and have fun in my socks. : ). A little advice, avoid the flight path, wear light-colored clothing, and if you have to work around them, choose the cooler periods of the day...dawn and dusk. The light colored clothing is helpful because it is not a recognized 'threat' color. Most threats they deal with are predominantly dark colored. http://www.yellowjacket-hornet-removal.com/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts