Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought it would be fun to hand assemble 200 frames and foundation with a nail and a hammer...

that was 4 days ago, im on frame #90, and my back hurts...

Did I mention this is in front of my tv? with nails and stuff all over the floor, and 90 assembled frames sitting in my wingback chairs and falling on the floor..

its embarrasing..

thanks to pk and neon who are my gurus..:gh:

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I didn't see anything about the dog running under your legs chasing the cat across the nails and frame pieces. It cannot be that bad. Throw in a couple curious kids and "that aint nothin'" Sounds like someone needs an air stapler for Fathers Day and maybe a frame nailing jig!

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I know you are thinking - I need an air compressor for the air stapler. Of course! That is how you justify the bee house with the hive assembly room, super storage room, honey extraction room, and library of bee books with a wide screen monitor hooked to a laptop to watch Beesource threads while building frames. With the right stereo playing and an observation hive it might be liveable!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got the nail gun and everything... just too hot to do it outside in the shop... thought it would be quick and easy using a tack hammer..

i got the tools, just not the time as i do it in front of the tv at night while working on the computer...

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Pierco frames with wax coating. :doh: Cheap, will never fall apart and no assembly.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Pierco frames with wax coating. :doh: Cheap, will never fall apart and no assembly.
BLASPHEMY-PURE BLASPHEMY! just kiddin. the 110 heat index has me a tad giddy. seriously, not everone likes plastic frames/foundation. :)

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I find that using a hammer is a pain when hand assembling frames. I have a brass bar about 6 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter. I have more control over that than a hammer.

I plane my top bars down to 1 inch wide, and trim 1/16 off each side the end bars before I hand assemble them. I even turn the top wedge 90 degrees and tack it back in on many of them. I currently have 200-300 of them assembled and ready to put in boxes as needed.

Aren't you glad that all you are doing is quickly assembling them?

With that said, I have 150-200 Pierco frames that I have added wax to ready to use, and another 500-600 Mann Lake PF 105 frames too. (I still need to trim the recently purchased 500 PF 105's down to 1 1/4 though.)

If you can stay ahead of needing frames, and do some here and there, it's not as much of a pain trying to do them all at once.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts