Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For almost 3 weeks she hasn't given me anything but drones. There were empty queen cells all over the hive (mid frame) It seemed like they were just waiting for her to lay 1 good egg. She was a good queen that produced a very gentle hive. I hated to crush her but I guess it was best for the hive. I put a new queen in a few hours later. (I would have liked to have waited longer but heavy rains are coming for the next 3 days and I wanted to get her in)I hope they like her. I put her on the bottom board and was about to put her in but I left my hive took in my garage. When I returned, about 2 min later, half the hive was around her cage. It looked like a big swarm. I was able to get her in with out any problems though. I will check back in a few days to see if she got released.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Just part of beekeeping,some times it just has to be done.I had to do in 3 this year.2 drone layers and one that was a poor layer.I am sure the requeen wil go well for you

·
Registered
405 Posts
I, like you, killed(intentionally, at least) my first queen this year.

I, unlike you, did it with glee and celebration.

I had a very populous hive that was very nasty. With just one more bar within reach, i had about given up. Pulled it out and there she was! Grabbed her not so gently and popped her into my jar of alcohol and did a little dance! Sick, i know.
-j

1 - 4 of 4 Posts