Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying really really hard to be patient but the more I read and the more I hang out here the more I want my bees. I want them NOW!!!

However I can and will be patient if it is not advised to start a new hive this time of year. I don't even know if I could find bees anyways but if I could find a local nuc, maybe a local keeper willing to split a hive for me...could I possibly do it or should I just hold off until spring? I think I know the answer but I want to see what others have to say. If nothing else it will act to confirm and perhaps dampen my fire a little so it can smolder over the winter. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure what your season is like in WV, but it might be getting late unless you buy a full colony. You've always got the option of shopping for and building equipment you'll need.

Look for some classes to take, or get into a local beek club to pass the time. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as weather it stays warm into September and October. As far as pollen/nectar flow...that I am not sure. I figured if I did get bees this year there would definitely be feeding involved. I am pretty sure I will hold off but was wondering.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's not to late to start but you will have to start with a nuc or established hive. Here in the Eastern Panhandel of WV the necter flow has dwindled and there MIGHT be a small necter flow late July into Aug. So you absolutely have to feed, even on an established hive. The hard part is finding who will sell this late in the year. Check with a local club or with the state bee inspector.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Get on the web and find your local\state beekeepers club. Sometimes they have a classified link. (Mine did) I found a guy locally that sells Nucs. I purchased one for $75.00. That was just for the bees and frames. No box. This was June 1st. They are doing great. Also, I've seen hives advertised on Craigs List.
Now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,GO GET YOURSELF SOME BEES!!!!!!!:D:thumbsup:
Good luck, have fun, Bee happy
Rick
SoMd

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know of a local place here in charlotte, nc that sells 9 frame nucs this time of year if you are interested.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. There is a local beek meeting next week I am going to go to and I will also contact some of the others that are not too far from me and see if there is anything available.

1toomanyhobbies...thanks for the offer but I am sure shipping costs would be killer. If I can't find something local I guess I'll just suck it up and be patient and wait for spring.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah...it really is. It wouldn't have been so bad if all I was doing was reading some books and internet articles but coming here and seeing what everyone is doing with theirs hive and bees and catching swarms and doing cutouts...yeah...I'm gettin' the itch real bad :pinch:

·
Registered
342 Posts
It gets worse.
You'll probably want to start off with two nucs. By comparing how the hives behave, you can see if one is doing something lots different then the other. With two hives you can steal eggs and brood from the stronger to help the weaker, and if necessary, you could combine the two hives into one if need be.
Then next year, in the spring, you'll need a couple more packages or nucs to increase the genetic pool of your apiary.
Then you'll have 4 hives and you'll probably catch a thrown swarm of two which gets you up to six or seven or eight hives. Then you'll need extracting equipment. And you'll always need more woodenware. And frames.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah...my plan was to start with two hives. Actually 4 hives. Two at my house and two at my mom's house. But only two at my house if I did actually end up starting this year instead of next.

I am hoping by spring to have at least enough woodware to have 10 hives so that if I need to do splits or capture some swarms I will have everything I need on hand.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Sounds like a great plan.:thumbsup: I could have added 20 hives this year just from all the swarm calls. Another habit I have...buy extra frames with every order.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yeah I just wanted bees in my garden. I have 14 hives right now planing on @ 100 total in the next to years. Its addicting I do have bees in my garden now

·
Registered
85 Posts
Do you have $300.00 to lose and not worry too much about? Do you have a luxury you can give up over the next seven months that would add up to $300.00?

If you answer yes to either of those questions then I would say find you some bees.

Even if you lose all four hives, you will have seven months more experience, and more time becoming comfortable with taking care of bees, than if you start next year.

Bryn

1 - 20 of 22 Posts