Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a friend tell me about some bees that were in the wall of a out building at the midle school he used to attend 17 years ago. i was driving by there today and just for giggles i stoped to see if i could see where he was talking about. shure enough there are bees flying out of the buliding where he told me thay were. thay have 3 entrances in the corver of this building. from hole 1 to hole 3 is about 10 feet. i would guess thise is a big colony. I located the individual responsible for this now abandon school house and she told me i have free reign of the bees. my question is this.. should i try to catch a swarm from them before i atempt to cut them out or should i just wait till the nectar flow starts and cut them out then. please if you have any other ideas let me know.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
There will be far fewer bees in there now than there will be a month from now. It will be much easier to get them now & you will do less damage to the shed. Of course, it must be done on a warm day. I'd read some of the threads on cutouts if you haven't done them before. Also, keep in mind that there may be 2 or 3 colonies each using it's own entrance. You may have found a goldmine for treatment free bees. Congrats & good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
thay have 3 entrances in the corver of this building. from hole 1 to hole 3 is about 10 feet. i would guess thise is a big colony.
With 3 entrances I would think there is more than one hive there acording to how the building is built.

Have fun but I would not mess with them if there are children around because they do get a little mad when you mess with them :eek:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Got to agree with there mostlikely is more than one colony there. If they don't mind you ripping into the wall to extract them, go for it, just make sure before you do it, what their expectations are, some people will expect you to make all repairs when you're done. Other than that, have fun, and take some pictures. This is how I got my first colony.

Craig

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I like the idea of setting out swarm traps. You might be able to catch multiple swarms over several years from them. Unless they are going to tear the building down, or want them gone, Why mess with a good thing.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I agree with KQ, I would put out 2 swarm traps and get some boxes ready. I bet they all throw one or two swarms each this spring and summer then again next year and the year after that. I just found an old abandoned house with 5 seperate colonies living in the eaves and walls in our climate and long season this place should be good for 5-10 swarms :thumbsup: Good luck whatever your choice.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sounds like a gold mine.

I never did a cut-out, but I have done queen-less splits. I'd expect if you get enough comb with fresh eggs and enough young bees, you'll get a hive even if the queen escapes you.

All that natural comb will also enable you to play with alternative hive types at no cost. Bee Culture recently had an article from a peace core member who worked with wild bees in south america for years before she handled "normal" bees. She may provide inspiration.

You will be doing the bees and the community a service by giving them a home. Eventually someone will take issue and fill them with bug killer.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sounds like this could be multiple hives. Don't attempt a removal until you have drones flying in your area in case you don't get the queen.

Because the school is abandoned set up multiple baited hive bodies as far away as 200' and some as close as 20' from the building.

This indeed sounds like a goldmine you could draw from for many years to come as long as you have permission to access the property.

...JP

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I would do swarm traps- you'll get the queen eventually.
I've never gotten a queen out of a trap out. I've never caught the obsconding hive once it decides to abandon the colony that's being trapped out. I was under the impression that it's very rare to get the original queen.

I'm open to being corrected but I never expect to get the queen from a trap out.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I agree, I never have gotten the queen from a trap out, but I have talked with other beeks who have gotten the queen.

What I suspect in those cases was that they caught a virgin queen making her escape. She came out though the trap. She made her mating flights and within 7-10 days they had a new laying queen in there, and they just (mistakenly) assumed that they caught the original queen.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Wait until the first of april still a little cool at night.if you should happen to kill the queen there are not any drones here yet and it is still early to order a queen for shipment.if you wait until drones are starting to fly and should kill the queen and this is a big hive you can split the brood and fresh eggs up and get 2 hives from 1. also from your discription it may be 2 hives any way if it were me i would wait 2-3 weeks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts