Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just out for an easter walk, and I found a feral beehive up on the eaves of the old library building here in town. There's a lot of comb outside on the building, and the bees are flying in and out of a pipe that goes into the building. I'm super excited because it shows that honeybees are alive and well in my neighborhood. I'm going to post some pictures in a bit; it was really fantastic to see, plus, I've never seen a honeybee hive that wasn't human involved.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Wow, what an exciting find, congratulations! I would be oh, so tempted to see if I could put up a small nuc box with frames/foundation and then add some of the swarm attractants to see if you could catch a swarm.

Surely, the library doesn't want the bees destroying theirr building and/or books. See if they will let you do a removal of some kind.

If the bees are going inside at a pipe opening, they are surely hiving inside the wall. Probably ran out of room on the inside of the wall and are now building comb outside.

Please, by all means, keep us posted and let us live vicariously through you. :applause::applause:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts