Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dang ----- Husband noticed while mowing that my largest hive has really shifted. I asked him to set a base for me with concrete blocks, and I see that I have enabled this scenario. Now I have a project and must come up with a solution. Checking my hive weekly, I can't imagine how I missed this or it may have occurred with all the rain lately. While I was away from the house, husband and my son thought they could shim it a bit and the roar from the hive they described hearing was comical.

Fortunately for the bees this is 6 mediums tall. Not so fortunate; What a mess if this were to tumble and I am pretty slow and careful dismantling and going through the hive.

My guess is to reset all 3 hives so I don't have this occurring on the other 2.

IMG_0182.jpg

I have a better pic from the backside of the hive and I will not load for some reason. Trying again and again.
photo 2.jpg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can you get long enough zip ties (or put 2 or 3 together) to pull the two blocks together? Otherwise, I'd suggest a ratchet strap until fall when you break things down for the winter.
Well I could but this is not completely solid underneath. There is a rail that runs front to back on each side and another rail that runs side to side at the rear. A screened bottom board with removable tray.

·
Registered
735 Posts
It looks to me like someone slid the hive to the right as your bottom block look close to level.
If so just slide it back to the left and the block will set down level.
Or just lift that side of the hive up off the block and set it back down.
Also when placing block on the ground like that the bottom layer should be laid on the flat side to spread the weight.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I must admit I have 3 leaning towers of Pizza that I have fingers crossed will last until reduced for winter.

We dug out the top soil, levelled then put down rubber barn mats, then 14x14 patio blocks then the hive stand. Hadn't counted on my daughter's dog digging a hole right against the matting...it is all subsiding!

·
Registered
892 Posts
The issue i see is one block is on its side (holes sideways), the other is on its top (holes vertical).

While technically the blocks are not rated to be set on there tops, they have plenty of strength for setting hives on.

What i would do? Find 2 addtional helpers (3 people total) Ratchet strap (or screw 1x to the sides) the hive, have 2 people gently tilt the entire hive away from the leaning block (this tilt should only require the bottom to move 1/4 of an inch or so) while the third person removes leaning block and replaces it on its side so it matches the other one. (this gives 2 blocks with 2 large flat surfaces for the hive to sit on)

·
Registered
629 Posts
I use 2 blocks with 2 4x4x8 set on top. That gives me space for 4 hives on each stand. The bottom of the hives is about 10" off the ground. The blocks may need to be shimmed to level the 4x4's. I set one up this week that was sloping front to back about 4" and I put bricks under the blocks to level them. With your 3 hives this year you may need more space next year to expand your apiary. Just another idea to help solve your problem. Good Luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Further inspection of the ground under my tall hive, a varmint has tunneled underneath! Hopefully we can solve that tomorrow when husband gets home? My 21 year old son says " No way, only with a piece of heavy equipment would you see me out there".... I appreciate everyone's advice! Pray it won't rain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts