Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well only time will tell, but I made a split a couple days ago and it seems to going good. I had a really strong hive that was building drone comb between boxes and starting build queen cells vertically on the bottom of some frames. The hive consisted of a deep and two medium supers. I took the two supers off the top and placed on a screened bottom board and then placed a deep on top of the original deep and turned the hives facing one another about two foot apart. While the original hive body has the most foragers coming to it,the newhive has a respectable number of foragers carrying in pollen and nectar. I do not know which part had the queen in it, but i hope the queenless hive will raise a new quenn because it had all stages of eggs, uncapped brood and capped brood. I' keeping my fingers crossed and in about 17-20 days i will do an inspection. Wish me well.:)

·
Registered
453 Posts
What did you do about the queen cells?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I removed evrything, drone cells and queen cells in between the boxes. I left the queen cells that were hanging on the face of the comb itself. Maybe i did wrong, but i assume they will go ahead with raising a new queen.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I did my splits on Monday so we are in the same boat. Walkaway here too. I found two of the three queens and put them in the nucs. Long story short I am wanting to find queen cells this coming Monday also. It will all work Peace Dave

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'll be interested to see how it works out for you both. I'm planning on doing a couple walk aways in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I did the exact combination split on 3-28. I did not face the split next to each other, but moved it to another stand 30' away. I placed twigs and grass at the enterance so orentation would take place. Did that a week ago. Today, split looks good as far as foragers go. Will check and inspect them both next week to see which has the Queen.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It would be best if you could locate the queen first so you now which hive she's in for sure. In a hive that has swarm cells you can always leave the queenless unit with the cells, cull the cells in the queen right unit or risk having them swarm. In any case, If you do make a split with strong hive that hasn't got swarm cells yet, it's best if you can leave both alone (if you can't find the queen) for the next 15 - 16 days at least, that way you do not risk injuring the new cells that are being drawn in the queenless unit assuming you are allowing them to raise there own queen.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I did a walk away split the 2nd week in March. Had a full bottom brood box and about 1/3-1/2 of brood in the 2nd box. The 1/3-1/2 brood box got the foagers and the full brood box was put on a new stand.

Checked today. Both bottom boxes are full and the box on the new stand had a bunch of bees doing orientation flights. Looks like it was a good split.

All the rest of the hives have full bottom boxes and 1/4 -1/3 of brood in the 2nd deep. Had one that had a few bees checking out the single super that I have on each hive.

Will be making up more shallow frames this week !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts