Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to weather circumstances, etc. I cannot get my nucs until next weekend. My head completely understands and wisdom will prevail however, my poor pitiful patience has run completely out.

I feel like the little kid standing at the candy store window with his nose pressed against the glass.:D:D:D

My brother received his packages in the mail yesterday and spent the rest of the afternoon/evening installing his packages. He called me so jazzed up and said the bees were so calm, he and his young sons, and grandpa installed the bees without any veils, gloves or suits. He did take lots of pictures and I can't wait to see them.

My oldest son is getting ready for prom and banquet next weekend and he and I look the same...all dressed up with no place to go.

My head understands completely and I would so much rather wait than have problems but man, oh man, oh man...I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know how you feel, my nucs will be here within the next two weeks. I have
been studying, reading , asking questions for over a year now, and just realized I don't know anything, panic.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I feel your pain Brother!!!!;)
Last year, I had been reading, building, buying, thinking, planning, and waiting for 10 months in anticipation of getting two nucs.

I did not find out until late May, that the man I was getting them from was getting a divorce; all 25 of his hives had starved due to crystallized winter stores. He had kept telling me to be patient and that he was having "queen" problems. :rolleyes:

I went into "Modified Stationary Panic" looking for bees. I found none. I bought 3 swarm traps in hopes of snagging a late swarm. After exhausting every other avenue I called the man's son, not wanting to bother him in the middle of a family problem. The son, who I was in scouts with, took pity on me and told me to come up to his place in a week and a half on a Saturday and we would go make up a nuc. MAN was that a long 10 days!!!

You know what, I was ready; armed with knowledge and the proper equipment, it has been a success thus far. I caught a swarm the next month (June '09) and had two hives go into and out of my first winter. Now I am hooked.

My 10 yr old daughter has been hooked as well. She installed her package this month with almost no help. Independent little cuss, I don't know where she gets that from. :scratch:
Here are some pictures my wife and my 6 year old took of the package install. Link to the slide show, enjoy!!!!

I pray Godspeed to your bees and many future "honeybee dreams" to you!
RKR

·
Registered
429 Posts
"Independent little cuss" IS RIGHT. SHE DIDN'T WANT ANY HELP FROM ANYONE DID SHE!!!!!!!!!!! ROFLOL!!!!!! you have a serious beekeeper on your hands now...:lpf::lpf::lpf:

·
Registered
546 Posts
It will come in due time. Savor the anxiousness, as the day will come you'll be out in an 80 degree day, fully suited, carrying around 80 pound boxes and saying to yourself, "Gee, I wanted it, here it is"...

You'll have lots of fun and enjoy the hobby I'm sure. I remember when I was new too...

I could match you story for story... And, 5 years later, I still enjoy it. I'm anxious for swarm season to come to go catch them swarms. Is it ever going to get here???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts