Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new at bee keeping, started this year.
I wear progressive glasses but still can't see much detail.

What are you older guys using to see better.

I bought a magnify glass but not a very good one.
Maybe get a stronger one.

Thx

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I had cataract surgery this past year and I can see distance just fine whereas close up is not good at all. I wear reading glasses bought at the pharmacy for reading and working bees. Still not perfect but the best I can do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
May or may not be helpful and I have good vision so I have no reason to try....

MAYBE take pictures of the frames with a good digital camera and then inspect the pictures. That should allow you to zoom in for more detail when needed. I try to get pictures of my inspections for this reason. I can zoom in and see better details and maybe see something I missed when I was looking the first time. I found my queen on a picture even tho I did not see her when I was in the hive.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'll share my experience in case it helps...I also had retinal surgery; for a while due to cataracts I could only see eggs by taking my glasses off (glad I discovered that) and taking advantage of my new-sightedness. This year I had cataract surgery and new eyeglasses. I made sure the opthamologist knew that my goal was to be able to see eggs. I even took in books with pictures so he knew. With progressive lenses, I now see eggs fine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I wear progressives (and really dislike them, btw) and am able to see eggs just fine. Perhaps you need an improved prescription? I have three focal areas, for distance, computer use, and reading. It's fairly natural to hold up a frame and look through the center, the area for computer distance. So if I want to look closely, I need to hold it down and look through the reading area. But if I really want to see detail, I use a camera. Even the camera on most smartphones will take pretty reasonable up-close photos.

Brian

·
Registered
866 Posts
If your goal is to see eggs, I find that having good light behind me and holding the frame at the right angle to let the light into the cells (the cells slope slightly upward) helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts