Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on a jacket veil combo that might be easy to see through?! I bought a cheap one and I can't see anything!? What about sheriff they advertise a clearer view? Or do they all kinda suck to see through? Thanks charlie

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I certainly don't see as well through a veil as without one.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Black ones are easier to see out of than silver ones. I don't know what color your veil is or what material it is made of... but if it's silver screen wire, some flat black paint from a distance lightly (so it doesn't clog up on the screen) can make a difference.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I like the square folding veil I bought before i got a jacket. They both have black screen but I think I can see better through the flat screen instead of the round veil.
I go without a veil whenever possible.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I also have trouble seeing through my black mesh veil. I just thought it was poor vision, trying to spot eggs especially. I feel like I should be wearing a flashlight on my head to see the eggs. Even on sunny days I struggle to see through the veil, but I'm not tempted to take it off for a better view!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
They take about one full season, (for me anyway) to get used to looking past it. Even when the sun is at your back, sometimes it's better when its at an angle. Very fresh wax comb is almost impossible for a newbee to see eggs through a veil. Once it gets older and you get more experienced, it will be easy for you to see eggs.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
On another thread someone said that yellow tinted pilots or shooters glasses really gave eggs a sharp contrast. My eyes constantly hunt for focus between the mesh and the cell bottoms on new wax or natural tinted foundation. The black mesh sure is better than some of the light colored and shiny stuff.

·
Registered
302 Posts
i have a rounded black veil and find that if i look at a frame and continuously move my head left/right while my eyes are fixated on a point that I can see better.... It's like I'm always looking in a shadow, even at high noon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts