Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to use very plain jars.

What I need to know is...how many mls of honey is 453.6 grams (1 lb)
.....how many mls of honey is a kilo

And..how much does a 5 gal bucket of honey weigh.

I need to know. As I hope to sell honey by the lb and 2 lb jar and have a bulk store interested in 5 gal buckets.

Also for a bucket how much does one lower the price...just by the difference in cost for the bucket vs jars required for that much honey...or more?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
If you're only dealing with a few hundred pounds, ignore the posted prices and get as much as you can for it. I could sell quite a few 5gal buckets for $250, cases of 1lb bottles for $5/bottle. If I had tons, then I'd have to take market price.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
1 gram = 1 Ml.
1 Kilo = 2.2 lbs.
453.6 grams or Ml = 1 lb
453.6 X 2.2 = 997.92 Ml or Grams per Kilo.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
1 gram = 1 Ml.
1 Kilo = 2.2 lbs.
453.6 grams or Ml = 1 lb
453.6 X 2.2 = 997.92 Ml or Grams per Kilo.
I don't understand these conversions?

·
Registered
629 Posts
challenger, Daniel Y posted the conversion chart for WBVC in metric. He lives in Canada which uses the metric system as opposed to the Standard system the US uses.

·
Super Moderator
11,188 Posts
The problem is - there is always 1000 grams in a kilogram. Liters are a volume measurement and grams are a weight measurement. And while 1 ml of water may weigh 1 gram, 1 ml of honey weighs considerably more than 1 gram.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
We package in 500ml glass jars and they hold about 1.5 lbs.

1lb is approximately 333 mls.

454 g in 333ml is 1.36 gram per ml. This is approximate.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't understand these conversions?
Thanks so much. I did not know how many grams per mil of honey as I expect this weigh varies with product being weighed.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The problem is - there is always 1000 grams in a kilogram. Liters are a volume measurement and grams are a weight measurement. And while 1 ml of water may weigh 1 gram, 1 ml of honey weighs considerably more than 1 gram.
Yes..that is my issue. I don't think honey and water weigh the same per unit volume.

So if 1 gm of H2O is a mil how much does a mil of honey weigh??

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We package in 500ml glass jars and they hold about 1.5 lbs.

1lb is approximately 333 mls.
Thanks.

Do you find the 500 ml jars sell better than the 375 ml jars?

I ask as am off to purchase a few hundred jars this afternoon:)

·
Super Moderator
11,188 Posts
A rough estimation of honey weight is approximately 12 lbs per gallon. To convert that to the metric system would be 5.44 Kg per 3.78 liters or 1.44 Kg per liter (equivalent to 1.44 grams per milliliter).

Of course, honey weight per gallon (or liter) varies slightly depending on the honey.

·
Registered
583 Posts
i bought a digital food scale and weigh each jar as i fill it and charge $1.00 an oz but i don't feed or put treatments in my hives .so it's pure unadulterated honey

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
i bought a digital food scale and weigh each jar as i fill it and charge $1.00 an oz but i don't feed or put treatments in my hives .so it's pure unadulterated honey

Oh boy, let the fun begin, "my honey is pure unadulterated honey". You state this is if this sets your honey apart from "average" honey. You have a lot of nerve making this claim. It suggests other people that sell honey are selling adulterated honey. Why else make the distinction other than to put your honey on a higher level. Unbelievable. Do you follow your bees around and make sure they don't take advantage of a dropped sugar based beverage or take nectar from a plant that's been sprayed. Climb down from your pedestal and touch the earth. Good God almighty. I'll never understand how certain Beekeepers feel they have cornered the market on superior bee practices. You are a poser. Get real.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Thanks.

Do you find the 500 ml jars sell better than the 375 ml jars?

I ask as am off to purchase a few hundred jars this afternoon:)
500 ml sells the best for us. The repeat customers mostly buy this size. Think 375 mls works for novelty and gifts. Sold a few 1 liter but not many. So almost exclusively package in 500ml size.

I add 50 cents refundable for the jar and do get a few returns. We buy the Harvest Brand at Walmart for $6.80 for a dozen. I like the glass jar as it can easily be warmed in warm water to return the honey to liquid state.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree that one can't vouch for what actually goes into their honey as they can't realistically follow the bees around.

You can state that you don't knowingly feed your bees or treat with any product or compound and that you you don't add anything to your honey or process it in any way.

I agree with post #17 that one assumes, correctly or incorrectly, that small producers, with integrity, fall into that sector. I would also assume that applies to all on this forum:)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
500 ml sells the best for us. The repeat customers mostly buy this size. Think 375 mls works for novelty and gifts. Sold a few 1 liter but not many. So almost exclusively package in 500ml size.

I add 50 cents refundable for the jar and do get a few returns. We buy the Harvest Brand at Walmart for $6.80 for a dozen. I like the glass jar as it can easily be warmed in warm water to return the honey to liquid state.
I use the cheapest plastic 1lb (12 fl oz) jars. I sell for a cancer foundation so the cheapest nets the most going to it but I often wonder about using a little more expensive bottle because they are more appealing and more recyclable back into honey jars. With that in mind I am wondering about the caps and seals. Is it worth it to "buy back" the glass jars if a new cap and seal has to be purchased? I know the caps and seals for the plastic bottles I use are almost 1/2 the price if sold separately. Mine come in 24 qty case with caps & seals. When I see something in the bottle or if the label gets messed up and I have to destroy the seal and/or cap and buy more it is relatively expensive. Lastly the weight of the bottle is much more but the glass is easy to warm in hot water for reliquifying. Pros and cons always right? For sure the shipping, which is a racquet IMO, is likely more for glass as well??? If anyone has used plastic and switched to glass I'd like to hear the reasoning. I may want to switch when I run out of plastic.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts