Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After trying to vaporize twice as many hives as I was last year.I broke down and bought a ProVap 110.Its expensive but wait till you use one.Man they are fast!!! you had better be ready when you turn it over with OA in it.Its a life saver if you dont have time to waste on a wand.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,796 Posts
I am so glad I bought one too. I can do all 17 hives in less than half an hour including set up time. Finally got around to drilling a hole in the back of the bottom boards for the stem. Made it a lot easier and I don't think I cooked any bees. Going through the front entrance does not work as well since the bees exiting the hive get burned by the stem which gets really hot.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need a new cordless drill to put a hole in the backs.I just got it this morning and tried it out..I smoked the entrance and then used old holey wet socks twisted a little to close off the front and slipped the tip in between the sock and hive body at the entrance.You lose very little vapor that way.Holes in the back will be coming before long and I can see they would be a lot better.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,796 Posts
My Brushy Mountain style bottom boards have a 3/4" "filler" strip across the back. That is where I drilled the hole. Keeps the hive body free of extraneous openings. I ran an extention cord, well three cords, over to the hives from my shed. Left it there with the end hanging in a tree. Figure it will be ready to go for the next couple of treatments.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know thats what I should do.I have 3/4" bottom board entrances.I change them out every so often and clean and paint.I can just put holes in them instead of all my hive bodies.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm starting my second full year with my ProVap and it's a lifesaver....well maybe it's just really handy time saving tool that works great. I'm in for another one if this one ever rolls over & dies.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

·
Registered
623 Posts
I agree. Great tool. Just did 10 hives for my sister in another state with the Varrox wands. I don’t want to go back to that in my yards.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I just 46 hives in about 90 minutes including setup this week taking my time. What a time saver over the Varrox style. I have all my bottom boards drilled in the back, I will get some golf tees as mentioned above. I went around and had to punch out the holes as the bees closed them off since my last treatment.

PAHunter62

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
With the ease of use, the time saved, the excellent hive survival rates and the minimal cost of the OA itself, my Provap paid for itself the first year.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am so glad I bought one too. I can do all 17 hives in less than half an hour including set up time. Finally got around to drilling a hole in the back of the bottom boards for the stem. Made it a lot easier and I don't think I cooked any bees. Going through the front entrance does not work as well since the bees exiting the hive get burned by the stem which gets really hot.
I love my ProVap 110, and my experience with it so far has been the same. Using the opening in the entrance reducer was cooking bees, and it seemed a lot of the oxalic acid was escaping as well. I drilled the hole in the back rim of the bottom board and just use a scrap of wood placed in front of the entrance. By the time I'm done with one group of hives, it's time to go back around and remove the blocks in front of the entrances.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts