Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I got a call at 930 just before dark that this guy had watched a swarm fly in and land int he pine tree in his front yard. The local person who is listed on the swarm catchers site gave him my name and I went.

A huge ball, football size (probably american football :lookout:), was about 8 feet up in the tree. I cut the branches, carried them to a cardboard box without incident, banged the branches across the top and all the bees fell into the box. I closed the lid, wrapped it in a bedsheet, and drove the 15 miles home.

I prepped a super of comb onto a screened bottom board, poured a little syrup onto the frame rails, added an empty super on top, and then added the bees. I put an escape board on top as it was the only lid available, blocked the entrance, and went to bed.

This AM there is traffic in and out of the upper opening on the escape board (that I forgot existed) but all else looks fairly normal from the outside. I am hesitant to open the box and look in but I think I need to add a pollen patty to ensure they have enough food and are convinced to stay.

What now, and did I miss anything.:scratch:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
If one of your hives has a large amount of eggs and larva and brood, give it a frame. This will ensure it will stay put. Make sure you shake that frame off real well. You do not want to carry a queen over.
A pollen patty would be good. If the stores are light, and with all this rain we have been getting, a frame of food or a feed pail on top would be good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just ran out and cover the hive better as the lid was full of water... the downpour is on full this AM.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a pollen pattie and a full frame of frozen honey that I am thawing. I was going to give them both but the rain is too hard so I can't open the hive.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
can you feed them with a pail of syrup or a quart sealer jar turned upside down with small nail holes punched in the lid?
Cover with an empty super and then an outer lid
With the poor weather, that should be enough to keep them home. Check in on Monday when things get better. If it is an old queen in the swarm she should have started laying by then. If it is virgin, might be a few more weeks for eggs, so add a frame of eggs and larva to keep them busy.
Cracking the lid when the rain lets up and adding a pollen patty will be ok, because you will not need to open the hive fully.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so I go to lift the lid and install a frame of honey and a pollen patty and the bees are all hanging in a swarm on the underside of the lid. I am going to take this as a good sign that the queen has survived so far but will they eventually go onto the frame below them. OR are they going to swarm again.....

I closed the upper access and opened the regular bottom entrance. Thinking is to force them to transit through the comb. Good idea or bad, should I close the hive up tight tonight to keep them in. IT is well ventilated and sheltered.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I agree, you really don't want an empty box on top.
Either get frames in it or remove it, You'll have a mess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts