Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a quick inspection today and reversing boxes. As I reassembled 1 of the hives I noticed its queen dead on the hive stand. I have no idea how it happened. The hive is booming - lots of eggs, larvae and capped brood. They even mostly filled the bottom box with nectar already. What are the odds the hive will make an emergency queen and the hive will be OK? I'm in Zone 6b. Southeast PA right on the Mason-Dixon Line.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Welcome to the club. Not a club we like to be in, but nearly every beek is. To answer your question: Odd are very good that they will requeen. IF it is booming and you want more hives, this may be an opportunity to make splits. I lost a queen due to my mishandling a few weeks ago. 10 frame. Ended up with three frames, each with multiple queen cells. I split it into three and decided to make lemonade.

·
Registered
28 Posts
RobA, like Jadeguppy suggested, this would be a great time to make a split if you are so inclined. If not, then they will use the right age larvate to make a queen with. In the meantime, they will have nothing to do but gather nectar and make you a much better honey harvest. Depends on what you are inclined to do. Either suggestion will make lemonade out of the lemon you were handed.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I was doing a quick inspection today and reversing boxes. As I reassembled 1 of the hives I noticed its queen dead on the hive stand. I have no idea how it happened. The hive is booming - lots of eggs, larvae and capped brood. They even mostly filled the bottom box with nectar already. What are the odds the hive will make an emergency queen and the hive will be OK? I'm in Zone 6b. Southeast PA right on the Mason-Dixon Line.
It happens. You can divvy up the uncapped brood especially the most youngest between the 2 hives and split them and let the make their own queen. This will take about 30 before you see signs of a new queen but if you like the genetics you have, you can save some money on buying queens and it is an 80% to 90% probability they will both make a new queen. The safe bet is to buy a queen if you can get one. I split mine like this every year and have pretty good results.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw capped drones last week. The last 2 years I had some swarms around May 1st. I have 5 hives and don't want more so I'd rather not split.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts