Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year beekeeping and I am finding I can hardly keep up with educating myself on new situations and experiences. I peformed a cutout on a fairly small hive about a month ago. I removed and rubberbanded in three and a half deep frames of brood. I found a fair amount queen cells during the cutout and never did find the queen. They promptly made queen cells and raised their own queen. She is laying now but not very well, kind of sporadic. Just this weekend I checked the hive for the first time in about a week. I found capped brood but hardly any, like almost no eggs or young larvae. While inspecting the hive I found the queen and while watching her she had an egg hanging off her butt and it just dropped off???? In addition, I found a lot of opened brood cells, some with partially removed bees??? What in the world is everyones best guess for whats going on here? Does the hive have some kind of problem or could the hygienic behavior be related to the queen not laying eggs correctly leading to deformed bees? On an ealier inspection when I first found eggs from her she was laying multiple eggs in some cells, on the side walls, etc. I don't think it was a laying worker as I had been adding brood and she was on the frame where near the spot of eggs that were so oddly laid.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Varroa problems immediately popped into my head as a possibility but I don't even know how to test them for mite levels?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts