Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, some background. I'm a recovering musician and have always worn earplugs at live music, on the table saw, etc. so I still have very good hearing. Most concerts I need the earplugs because it's painfully loud, just never killed those nerve endings :rolleyes:. So shooting I usually use earmuffs and indoor ranges I use plugs AND earmuffs (and when the cat next to me has a 338 with a muzzle brake, I'm grateful for every decibel blocked!).

However when hunting, I naturally don't use ear protection and while so far I've only needed one shot, my ears ring for a good hour into the biology class part. Some have recommended I try these "game ears" kind of electronic earmuffs, you know, amplify noises 7X until something over [whatever decibel level] which is blocked out. It sounds pretty cool, I think I'd love to try the amplified hearing out in the high country, but I have to admit walking around in the woods with whiz-bang earmuffs on feels a little weird and I think I might hide rather than be seen in them. They seem to run $50 to $80, which is a lot cheaper than hearing aids.

Now granted, we've a lot of big country out here and no one will see me anyways :cool:. So anyone tried these things? I see a lot of shooters at the range using the regular electronics, so you can talk and whatnot but block the shots which seems cool.

Newfangled gadget you wouldn't be caught dead with?
Might be cool, but can't see yourself wearing one?
Great tool, helps hunt plus you don't blast out your ears, total win?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I've used them, they work well. The best part aside from the high decibel noise canceling is the fact you can adjust the volume to hear faint sounds clearly. The cheaper ones are a bit too bulky so I rarely use them. If I had a set of in the ear with Bluetooth so I could listen to music etc. I'd never leave them at home and actually hog hunt using the .45-70 w/ muzzle brake.

·
Registered
99 Posts
They are great at the target range. But while out hunting I put them on before I take a shot.
What I don't like is that they amplify all sound, the wind, leaves, distant traffic........all the time.
Hunting up and down the east coast from tree stands and ground blinds makes it easy to pop them on without being seen, you might be more of a spot and stalker (lucky stiff!) and may not be able to do that.
I've got the cheap $60 ones, they work great with .450 Marlin on down!

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thoughts. Yep, it's all spot-and-stalk out here, which is great on one hand. Lots of beautiful country and you never look at terrain the same after scouting a few remote drainages from a game standpoint. Though I confess when I'm putting mile 9 on the boots and then consider harvesting an animal and then horking the bleedin' thing quarter by quarter back to the truck over rough country, that East Coast "sit in a stand birdwatching and drinking tea waiting for a shot" thing starts to sound mighty nice. I have a moment every year where I growl to myself "next year I'm filling the freezer with rabbits and trout!"

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine are so old the logo is gone. I remember going thru the Cabela's site and reading reviews, checking prices.
Enjoy the spot and stalk while you can......once you're long(er) in the tooth and gray(er) on top you can always park your backside in a stand.
Spent a week up in Philipsburg MT in Sept. several times.......**** I love sneakin' around having elk make me look like a fool!!
Anyway, cold front moving thru....deer are moving....time to go climb a tree.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I use sound supressors/silencers on most of my weapons.
Legal to own and hunt with here in KY.
They are worth the bit of extra paper & wait.
They make shooting much more enjoyable, reduce recoil, makes it more hearing safe for anyone around.
I highly recommend doing some research into them and see if it is viable option for you in your state.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Get a good pair, low profile. Better units have better sound quality, and better wind dampening. I use Dillon or Pro Ear. $60 muffs are a lot like $15 motorcycle helmet. I sell a lot of them, but you get what you pay for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts